Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
185 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 184

Charles, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering wheel restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I'm sure some of you out there have had experience with restoring steering wheels. What process have you found to be the most satisfactory? What materials do you use? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/6/22 21:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering wheel restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
49Packard,

I am an amatuer, but found Ch 16 "Reconditioning Steering Wheels" in Jim Richardson's book "Classic Car Restorers Handbook" a helpful discussion. If you have access to the book it's straight forward steps. Here is a quick summary:
1. Remove the wheel (I didn't do that, but spread plastic sheeting all around - a pain as well)
2. Rechrome and polish -- obvious for metal parts
3. Open up the cracks -- He recommends s Dremmel tool or small files to V-notch the cracks so body filler will adhere well.
4. Fill'em Up --- Use 2 stage epoxy or Bondo (plastic body fill) or what ever filler you prefer. Over fill the cracks. Sand with #60 grit finish with #360 (I wet sanded w emerypaper)
5.Color Match a paint or tint mix at Paint supplier. Take a dash knob or some color sample with you.
6. Prime it -- several coatd -- dry sand in between coats w #360 of finer.
7. Paint It (He has lots of suggestions on multiple coats, final batch mixed w 25% clear coat. I don't know painting I just found a touch up can the color I wanted)

All in all I found his suggestions helpful, I think I have a better looking wheel than when I started. I may redo it later if I get into a paint project with the car.

HE has a list of things you will need:
-Steering Wheel puller
-Degreaser & wax remover
-Dremel motor tools or small files
-sandpaper 60, 180, 360 dry grit
-100,1000 wet dry sandpaper
-Body filler or equiv.
-spray set up (I used aeresol)
-lacquer or enamel to match
-compatible primer, clear coat
More than i cared to know but Helpful.

Good luck
Dan'l

Posted on: 2008/6/22 22:38
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dan,

Nice overview on that! If someone decides to follow this I would interested in the pictures so we can turn that into a good "How-To" article.

Posted on: 2008/6/22 23:04
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Daniel Leininger
See User information
Kev & Pack,
It is just a 3 page chapter. It has drawings and pictures.

My scanner laptop (with scanner setup) is down thanks to 'Bill Gates'. I am converting to Linux -Ubuntu.

Kev - If I scanned it, Would you post it? Copyright? It's just 3 pages. Maybe we help sell books for Jim Rich..? I found a used copy on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1557881944/sr=1-1/qid=1214196465/ref=olp_tab_used?ie=UTF8&coliid=&me=&qid=1214196465&sr=1-1&seller=&colid=&condition=used

A new copy goes for $40 New ~ Used it is $22 plus s&H $3.99 - Kinda pricey but a good book. Twenty-three short chapters on tips and techniques from engine to license plates.

I can't scan it this week -- going to Des Moines -Pac Meet on Tues. i'm a gonner!

I could send a zerox to a PO address - (email me as PI if you don't want to post your address).

DanL

Posted on: 2008/6/22 23:57
[i][size=small][color=000066]Dan'L in SD
41ParPack
First of the Clippers
[
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'm sure if it is still being sold on Amazon, then it falls under copyright, and that would prohibit me from posting it here.

But if someone followed it's instructions and posted pictures as a How To article, then that would be fair game.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 11:34
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Thanks guys. I tried the body filler years ago but it seemed that the expansion coefficient of the two materials differed and the cracks opened up again. I may not have gotten the materials clean enough. I'll give it another try. Again, Thanks!

Posted on: 2008/6/23 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
I seem to recall a steering wheel resto kit that included PC-7 epoxy rather than body filler.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 13:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The PC-7 might be the answer. I was thinking of using a clear epoxy so I could tint it to match the ivory wheel.

If I get around to trying this process I will document it so others can see what I do and how well it worked.

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

Posted on: 2008/6/23 22:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved