Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
33 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 33

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Wire inside distributor
Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Guys, The wire inside of the distributor that ( connects to the lug that connects to the coil on the outside of the distributor) is bad. It only has about 5 strands connecting on one end. I think this is causing a bunch of my ignition issues. I was wondering if this is a resistor wire, and if it is then where can i find one. Or if anybody has any other solutions that would be great.

Thanks
Bill

Posted on: 2013/1/15 21:29
 Top  Print   

Re: Wire inside distributor
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It's not resistor wire but is extremely flexible wire. Napa did carry some various length and configurations. Probably still do but maybe not in all stores.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.43 KB)
209_50f614db3c730.jpg 723X600 px

Posted on: 2013/1/15 21:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
Howard thank you for the help. I have been having some grounding issues with the points. I have two questions. First is there supposed to be a grounding wire from the base of the points to the plate or is it grounded by contact. Second the picture of the points in the manual shows a bakelite insulation pad on the points. Neither of my sets of points had this pad and it was running fine. Issue is when I crank the car there is no dwell but when I ground the base of the points to the plate then I have dwell. Thanks.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 9:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Delco used the ground wire between plate and case but not sure how on Autolite. There is an illustration of the Delco arrangement in Service Manual electrical section, figure 21.

Have never seen a set of points without some kind of insulator contact block. Not sure how they would function without one either electrically or mechanically. It may not be the brown or black rectangle usually seen though -- possibly a pressed in round button of some sort??

If it is a different arrangement, kind of makes me wonder if someone has adapted something. If a significantly different shape or size than the normal points, I would wonder if the geometry was changed and perhaps that is why you are having dwell issues.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 10:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The AutoLite distributors that I'm familiar with are those with the rotating breaker plate mounted to the fixed plate via a greased ball bearing, they absolutely used a ground strap, it's essential.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55 NC Clipper
See User information
I used the points that were cross referenced in the parts section for the autolite distributor. They looked exactly like the ones that I took off the car. There was no visible pad on those either but the car ran well. I have no ground strap so I think that is my issue along with the primarly lead wire that is junk. I will replace those two things, get the distributor back in the car and reevaluate.

Thanks Guys.

Posted on: 2013/1/16 11:13
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved