Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
226 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 225

R H, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Transmission Cooler R&R
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
For awhile now I've been observing coolant seeping out of a small area at the top of my transmission cooler and decided it was time to repair it or replace it with a unit that I had removed from a '54 Clipper shortly after I purchased my car. When I removed my original cooler last year to make it easier to paint the engine I found that both necks were rusted to the point of being too far gone to repair so a friend of mine with a muffler shop cut the old ones off and replaced them with mild stainless necks that we cut from exhaust pipe. Further inspection showed that there were other weak areas in the cooler body but except for this latest leak it's still pretty solid. Anyway I didn't want to have the car down while I repaired the original cooler so I cleaned up the spare unit which surprisingly still had some pretty solid necks on it except for some deep rust pitting and two small pin holes. I thouroughly cleaned the the necks and wiped both the inside and outside with a skim coat of JB Weld then after shaping them up with a file I coated them inside and out with some left over POR15 Gas Tank Liner. Fast forward to a about an hour ago and I find out that Packard decreased the steel line size from 5/16" to 1/4" at some point which of course requires changing out the inverted flare fittings on the spare cooler unless I use 1/4" to 5/16" adaptors which I'd rather not do. My question is this, the inverted flare fittings are of course NPT on the end that screws into the cooler and they are going to be tight! What are the chances of removing the old fittings without breaking the boss loose on the cooler itself?

Attach file:

jpg  (116.64 KB)
4000_50fb288da079b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/1/19 18:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Transmission Cooler R&R
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would replace the 1/4" transmission cooler lines with new 5/16" tubing. I don't think this change will cause a pressure loss to be concerned about. Ross, what do you think?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/19 19:53
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
JW, My '53 already has the 5/16" lines. It's the '54 cooler that had the 1/4" lines and I need to replace them so I can use my larger lines. No worries anyway, I was too impatient and went ahead and removed them without breaking the fitting bosses loose. Now all I need are two of these and I can install it.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.06 KB)
4000_50fb4372a7556.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2013/1/19 20:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
That's a 1/8" NPT to 5/16" tube fitting that will screw right into the '54 cooler without having to use adaptors.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 20:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Gator, sorry about my mistake about which cooler you were dealing with. Glad you got the fittings off of the cooler. Given the problems a transmission oil leak can cause to a transmission and cooling system, you my want to re-think about using one of questionable integrity.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/1/19 20:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I believe the actual cooler core inside the cooler assembly is stainless steel (or monel) so the likelyhood of corrosive perforation of that and thus a leak of coolant into the transmission fluid is very unlikely. Can't say I've ever heard of it happening.

Posted on: 2013/1/19 23:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Gator -

Those fittings are known as "street elbows"; any good, local, parts store that stocks an assortment of Edelmann (or equivalent brand) fittings is likely to have what you need. Be sure to take your cooler and fittings along for comparison.

There used to be purposed sockets for installing/removing these fittings, which conformed to the unusual shape and helped prevent collapsing the female opening. However, I've been able to use a wrench (even a Crescent type) by first installing a male fitting (aka - "nut") into the female opening of the street elbow - not much more than finger tight - to buck up the brass stock.

Veteran mechanics always seem to have an assortment of used fittings laying around for this sort of thing, but if you don't, it may be worth purchasing a few of the sizes of "nuts" as well - cheap insurance.

Posted on: 2013/1/20 14:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
You can get these fittings from Hydro-e-lectric in Florida.
They used them for new 90 degree turns on my new elecric/hydraulic window hoses. They are VERY helpful.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 14:21
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
i had to also replace the ends on the cooler, i used exhaust adapters, then used the expanded section , and cut a sliver of it off and braze it on by the end to hold the hoses on .

Posted on: 2013/2/27 14:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:

Given the problems a transmission oil leak can cause to a transmission and cooling system, you my want to re-think about using one of questionable integrity.

Interestingly, this topic relates tangentially to the discussion of what ATF to use in the Ultramatic because certain fluids support the formation of corrosion inside transmission coolers, particularly if Dexron II was used for any appreciable length of time.

Dexron III (today marketed as Dex/Merc or just ATF) has great corrosion inhibiting properties and is backward-compatible to Type A.

If we were having this discussion in the 1970's, I'd be wary of using a used cooler, but if it holds good pressure now on the transmission fluid side, I'd go ahead and use it today without fear-- it's more likely to leak coolant out into the world than to cross-contaminate ATF and coolant if its not already leaking, given the advances in today's fluids. Just my 2 cents.

Posted on: 2013/3/7 2:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved