Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (131 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 185

Don B, Packard Newbie, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Head Bolts Height '54 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Quick question....are the length of these head bolts appropriate for this car?

Attach file:

jpg  (50.05 KB)
20_510c223a3ad30.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2013/2/1 15:15
 Top  Print   

Re: Head Bolts Height '54 Patrician
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to keep things tidy, they're studs, not bolts. And yes, they are way too long!! Typically they are 2-4 threads above the nut, more or less, when tight. That engine also appears to have a cast iron head replacing the original 359 aluminum head (assuming it still has the 359 engine) - they are visually quite different, and also different thicknesses; IIRC the iron head is just slightly shallower. Looks like he**, doesn't it?

Posted on: 2013/2/1 15:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And to go with O_D's description, here is the proper look. Studs were 3 3/8 inch long on senior engine with the aluminum head and depending on year varied between roughly 1/4-3/8 less on the other engines.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.16 KB)
209_510c24e969b9a.jpg 566X354 px

Posted on: 2013/2/1 15:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I agree with Owen_Dyneto, these do look too long

Posted on: 2013/2/1 17:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Thanks for the answers and correction of terminology. Nuts and bolts; buy me books and send me to school.....Scheeesch!

Posted on: 2013/2/1 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would think that one could take a cutting wheel and cut the studs to proper length showing 2-3 threads above the nuts. It would be well worth the effort, and if done well would be hard to see. Just a suggestion...

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/2/1 22:17
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
a lot of the 359's got cast iron heads put on, i have a 327 head on my 359, but i took a grinder to the 327 logo on the head and blended it in so its completly gone, i do have an aluminum head i may put back on it once i get a chance to do some welding on it around the spark plug hole that cracked

Posted on: 2013/2/3 12:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
JW, I would remove a stud or two to try and figure out why so much thread was exposed before doing any grinding. Reminds me of the time I was working on a VW engine and I just stuck the studs in and the next guy came along and was wondering what I was thinking. Some of the studs were to deep and some not deep enough. I didn't know what I was doing, never work on a VW engine before and I was young and dumb. I can laugh about it now.
Wes

Posted on: 2013/2/3 14:10
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved