Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Jump starting 1956 Clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

jroy03053
See User information
I have a '56 Clipper with a dead battery. It seems to have reverse polarity on the battery. How can I jump start it using my Dodge Dakota pickup?

Posted on: 2013/2/4 11:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Jump starting 1956 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure what you mean by "reverse polarity on the battery". 56 would normally have a negative ground, 55s had positive. Even if reversed so the 56 has positive ground, no big deal on a stock car. Jumping would be like all. Make sure cars are not touching and then connect jumper cables so positive on one battery goes to positive on the other and negative to negative.

If you mean something else by the statement, please elaborate.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 11:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

jroy03053
See User information
My '56 Clipper has positive ground.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.68 KB)
5195_510fe959731f9.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/2/4 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

jroy03053 wrote:
My '56 Clipper has positive ground.

Apparently someone didn't get the memo. Understandable. Up thru 1955 Packard had used positive ground. In 56 went with the flow in the rest of the industry and changed to negative. An easy mistake to make if someone was used to old ways or looked at a manual that didn't mention the switch. Funny thing though, it's usually the earlier cars that accidentally get converted to negative ground instead of the other way around.

Again, it's no big deal unless there have been modern solid state replacement items such as a radio vibrator or torsion level switch bought or installed for the way it is presently connected. If car is still stock, you can leave it as is or switch. Check the coil terminals. If the switch was accidental it will probably still be connected per factory. Negative terminal would go to distributor and positive to ballast resistor. Typically for best efficiency the coil terminals should match the car's wiring with the proper terminal connecting to ground via the distributor. Even that is not a given though. Not a big deal if reversed unless the engine is really in bad shape and you need every bit of spark possible.

Switching back might involve having to repolarize the generator but instructions are in the service manual electrical under "installation of regulator". Basically just a matter of momentarily shorting the Bat and Gen (or Arm) terminals on the regulator together before starting the car.

Posted on: 2013/2/4 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day jroy03053,
to PackardInfo.

And I invite you to include your '56 Clipper in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Posted on: 2013/2/4 14:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved