Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
234 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 231

Leeedy, HH56, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need some experienced tips
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Hi all,

I posted a couple weeks ago regarding the proper puller for getting my rear drums off. Well, I purchased a puller and have been trying for several days in a row now to get the drum off. I work every day, so I come home and give it a few hits and nothing happen'in yet. I just soaked around the spindle area in front with Liquid wrench and hope maybe tomorrow I can get one of these off.

Any tips or suggestions from any of you on how you got yours off would be helpful.
My Packard is a 52 300 sedan.

Chuck in AZ

Posted on: 2008/6/29 14:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Need some experienced tips
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'll assume that you loosened the axle nut, but left it on so the drum doesnt fly off.

You may need to retract the brake shoes in as the edge of the shoe may be hanging on a groove in the drum. So I would use the star-adjuster and retract the shoes in.

If that even fails to work, then I know a few people have tried to heat the end of the axle with a torch to help break it free of the taper.

Or the other standby trick is to loosen the axle nut ever so slighty and then take it for a drive, sometime this will pop it loose.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 15:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
there should be plenty of force on the tool and drum by now.
Take a two pound hammer and strike the head of the puller bolt as hard as u can. Be sure the puller has plenty of tension on it before each hammer strike. It'll probably break loose before the 8th hammer strike.

Posted on: 2008/6/29 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Did you release the park brake ?

Posted on: 2008/6/29 17:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Boro
See User information
Thanks for the responses. I will let you know what happens. :)

The brakes were toast when I bought the vehicle and not driveable, so loosening the nut idea is out. Although, that one would probably work with less sweat!

Other suggestions duly noted. Only have a 16oz hammer, so I think I'll be heading to the store to get a 4 Lb. one.

thanks again for the responses!

Posted on: 2008/6/30 17:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Hi There, Her's my two cents worth.
I'm not sure what you mean by "loosening the nut is out of the question." If you are talking about the large nut on the end of the Axel with the cotter pin thru it you must pull the cotter pin and back off the nut. Otherwise no amount of banging will help. I always back the nut out so it's outside surface is flush with the end of the Axel. Then everyone is right. Keep banging on the puller with the hammer until the drum pops loose.

Posted on: 2008/6/30 21:36
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved