Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 110

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 71 72 73 (74) 75 76 77 ... 145 »

Re: Stewart
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
That's just it. There are no pop-outs. If I need an opening I will have to cut it myself. So the large opening on the left for the AC is sealed. Its just the hard outer cover that has the hole. The insulation on the back side is solid.

The image below is an enlargement of the left side (break petal area)

Attach file:

jpg  leftside.jpg (410.65 KB)
5209_606bad13a09df.jpg 1906X1920 px

Posted on: 2021/4/5 19:36
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a disappointing pad. I believe Cli55er was working with one of the companies to make a new pad or maybe it was a heater plenum or both. Don't know if that was one of the projects he was working on. As I recall his turned out fairly decent. If you wanted you might check his 55 Clipper blog as I think there were photos. Is the insulation your addon or theirs? I notice it is not cut out for any of the holes they did provide. I found that stuff was more a pain to cut than the hard plastic or cardboard outer skin.

Posted on: 2021/4/5 19:58
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
It was QuiteRide the Cli55er worked with to create the plenum. They still have that on their website and I plan to order it next, just not sure when yet.

I found Cli55er blog post were he talked about it. I'll just have to make mine work. I cut the insulation out of a couple holes today. It was no problem. The right side vent hole will be the biggest issue I think.

What happened to Cli55er? I hope he is well but its been a long time since he posted anything I believe.

Posted on: 2021/4/7 18:02
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Are there any items that should be mounted to the firewall before I attached the firewall pad?

I have enough headaches without pulling the pad off 10 times to correct something.

Thanks

Posted on: 2021/4/8 18:48
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Also, this is the page from the QuietRide catalog.

They have the two firewall pad labeled wrong, don't they?

Attach file:

jpg  QuietRideCatalog.JPG (43.16 KB)
5209_606f9a80e1e8d.jpg 985X575 px

Posted on: 2021/4/8 19:07
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I just can't help myself here.
Below is my Quiet Ride packing slip you can see I paid $163 for the pad in March. The second image shows their order page. THe price is now its $232 and you can see that the order page only shows one firewall pad and the plenum.
Their catalog that i posted earlier shows both pads but have them labeled wrong.

The moral of this story is, if you need a firewall pad, do not do what I did. Call them first before ordering.

Attach file:

jpg  receipt.JPG (21.27 KB)
5209_606fa15c8e3ce.jpg 748X164 px

jpg  orderpage.JPG (32.34 KB)
5209_606fa1672e22c.jpg 1081X189 px

Posted on: 2021/4/8 19:35
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
For 55 I can't think of anything off hand other than the brake pedal bracket that should be mounted before the pad. If the opening in pad is large enough the 55 bracket could probably be done after but for 56 definitely the two brake pedal brackets before the pad.

On the two pad IDs, in addition to mislabeling, neither appears to be exactly correct.

The one on left labeled heater only has the correct cutouts on the heater side for AC including what looks like the correct angled orientation for the heater valve mount screws but unless it is punch or scribe ready it is missing the two large openings for the evaporator tubing and blower.

The one on right labeled AC looks more correct for heater only but again, unless openings are punched but in place, appears to be missing the holes thru the mid area that the plenum mounting screws would use.

Neither is correct for 55 because with only the slots over the L vent, unless there is another punchout area there appears to be no provision for the 55 power brake pedal bracket

Posted on: 2021/4/8 19:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Quote:
They have the two firewall pad labeled wrong, don't they?

Unless it has knockouts that are not shown and some of those that are shown are actually supplied as knockouts, there is no single panel that fits both years.

Posted on: 2021/4/9 20:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
There are no knockouts on the one I received at all.

Posted on: 2021/4/9 21:03
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes and that was exactly my point! It can’t possibly fit both years.

Posted on: 2021/4/10 11:38
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 71 72 73 (74) 75 76 77 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved