Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 98

Sherlock, Ozstatman, 64avanti, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 76 77 78 (79) 80 81 82 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I finally got the new fabric for the dashboard underlayment.

Tracing and cutting was real fun.

Attach file:

jpg  dash1.jpg (218.96 KB)
5209_60ec7ffb63733.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  dash2.jpg (251.14 KB)
5209_60ec800362773.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/7/12 12:46
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   
Love (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Looks greats. Some battery chargers have the ability to provide 75 A or so for a short period of time.

Posted on: 2021/7/12 16:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Is there a diagram showing the placement of all the metal vacuum lines to and from the engine?

I've been hunting for images in other blogs post and making some progress.

Posted on: 2021/7/14 6:04
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
OK, 3 days later and no one responded for a vacuum line diagram.

Does anyone have photos handy that show the location of the metal vacuum lines coming from the intake and carb?

I lost all my images last year.

Thanks

Posted on: 2021/7/17 14:25
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Best I have.

Attach file:

jpg  352 front.jpg (155.40 KB)
618_60f33dbbbac54.jpg 1136X852 px

Posted on: 2021/7/17 15:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is no diagram I am aware of and the single carb is different than the dual so any photos I take would be only partially correct. Maybe someone will see your post and oblige with a few photos.

Unless someone does have a photo of a single carb application best I can do is describe what I remember. There is a port on the rear of the carb base or throttle plate which gets a tee fitting. The power brake check valve goes in one port on the tee and a 1/4" steel tube for the main wiper supply connects to the other. I do not remember which port gets the power brake check valve but the check valve and brake hose being fairly large does need to be positioned to miss the distributor assy, coil, and the oil sender as it heads to the firewall.

The steel tube extends over to the right head and bends toward the firewall as it lays near the top of the head. It lays fairly close to or maybe right under the rocker cover and as I recall there is one clamp around the tube near the rear which uses one of the 3/8" threaded holes on the side of the head for its mounting bolt. I think it is the front hole and the ground strap to the body uses the other hole. The tube extends past the head a bit more toward the firewall and bends up a couple of inches where it connects to a hose going to one of the inlet ports on the side of the wiper balance valve. Don't remember which balance valve port is which but if they are not marked I believe the washer installation diagram in the parts manual shows the proper connections.

If the engine is stock there is another 1/4" steel tube from the aux vacuum pump in the crankcase. That vacuum port exits the block about in the middle and slightly above the oil pan. Via an elbow it connects to an inline check valve. The other end of the check valve continues the vacuum line path with the tube also going toward the firewall and then bending upward just past the block or head to come up beside the tube from the carb. As I recall the clamp for that tube is on the bellhousing area and maybe uses a bolt shared with the clamp for the trans cooler lines. Cannot remember too much of the detail there. Another rubber hose connects that tube to the other inlet port on the balance valve.

If the Olds or the old PI modified pump without the aux vacuum pump has been installed that tubing may have been removed. If it is still present and connected to the balance valve make sure the path is blocked off in some fashion so intake manifold vacuum cannot leak past the check valve into what would be an open hole in the crankcase. As I recall one common blocking method for the PI pump install to keep the stock look was to insert a solid dowel or steel ball in the rubber hose so it was completely blocked to prevent any possible vacuum leak. Some who had the PI pump mod went old school and installed a fuel pump with a vacuum section to replace the crankcase pump. They utilized the old aux tube by disconnecting and removing the elbow, plugging the block port, and adding necessary fittings on the check valve to extend the tube up to the point where it can connect with a short hose to the new fuel pump vacuum port.

The 1/8" steel vacuum advance tube originates on a port on the right side of the throttle plate toward the front of the carb. As I recall the tube is just more or less free floating between the carb and the distributor advance connection although there might be a clamp near the coil hold down bracket to control vibration.

Posted on: 2021/7/17 15:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dads 56
See User information
this the line you mean? from the choke to the intake?

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2785.JPG (277.37 KB)
216126_60f36f5b5a9a8.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2021/7/17 19:01
1956 Packard Executive 2 door hard top (5677A)
1956 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan (5622)(parts car)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Thanks for the help. I found the choke line and the distributor line.

Under the chock there is another port, what goes there?

Also(3rd image) found this line that comes from a brass connection at the rear of the carb and runs to the right side of the engine. Mine is plugged and does not go anyplace?

Still working the dash. I am modernizing the under map light so waiting for the last part.

Attach file:

jpg  20210718_140321_resized.jpg (132.67 KB)
5209_60f47b75dc951.jpg 756X1008 px

jpg  UnknownPort.jpg (92.08 KB)
5209_60f47d354ff0d.jpg 1008X756 px

jpg  PluggedLine.jpg (114.23 KB)
5209_60f47d41c7fce.jpg 1008X756 px

jpg  Dash-MapLight.jpg (150.96 KB)
5209_60f47daeb719f.jpg 756X1008 px

Posted on: 2021/7/18 14:15
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I've not worked much (not at all, in fact) on my 1956's engine but the port looks to be one that feeds to the vacuum booster inside the oil pan but if upgraded to a modern oil pump or of the original had a leak, it would be blocked off.

Posted on: 2021/7/18 14:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe these are correct. If you have an electric wiper conversion the manifold vacuum source could have been blocked off rather than tubing disconnected from the carb but usually that manifold source is retained for the windshield washer if the wipers are electric and balance valve was removed along with the wiper motor. If the car is stock there would be a similar ended tube coming from the crankcase aux vacuum pump also landing in that general area.

Interesting the vacuum advance tube has a hose on the end or is that just something to block it while timing is adjusted. Most tubes are solid steel from one end connection to the other.

Attach file:

jpg  dist and choke.jpg (135.20 KB)
209_60f482d644558.jpg 756X1008 px

jpg  dist port.jpg (75.06 KB)
209_60f482e441708.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  manifold wiper supply.jpg (91.63 KB)
209_60f482f51414f.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2021/7/18 14:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 76 77 78 (79) 80 81 82 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved