Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 105 106 107 (108) 109 110 111 ... 145 »

Re: Stewart
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
QuietRide's firewall panels are all mixed up and were clearly not made from the original blueprints. While it's possible to make one for cars with and without A/C using knockouts, 1955 and 1956 pads were quite different as Howard pointed out so would need a lot of knockouts to make a one-size-fits-all type!

Posted on: 2022/12/26 16:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I was hoping you had a drawing of the 55 firewall pad Howard. No worry.

I'll take a pedal back off and mount the pad, mark the location and cut a big ole' hole.

It has been a few days since I have been in the shop due to the cold.

Posted on: 2022/12/26 19:20
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I do not like tearing down electric motors but this power window motor was not even humming when connected to the power supply.
So, I removed it from the bracket and opened it up.
It is fried like several other electric items that I have come across in the past few years.
I still think someone, once upon a time, hooked up the battery backward and walked away.

Attach file:

jpg  20221228_155940_resized.jpg (201.25 KB)
5209_63acd87ca95c2.jpg 954X2016 px

jpg  20221228_160105_resized.jpg (157.03 KB)
5209_63acd890447f0.jpg 954X2016 px

Posted on: 2022/12/28 19:05
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jw4
See User information
You can totally rewind it. There used to be people who did it professionally

Posted on: 2022/12/28 22:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JeromeSolberg
See User information
These folks probably would rewind/rebuild it for you:

Buchannan Auto Electric, Oakland Ca

Posted on: 2022/12/28 23:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You might also check with Ross or Pacific Southwest to see if either have motors. A different motor might cost less than having one rewound.

That burned field coil issue happens all too often when people do not know that Packard used motors with two oppositely wound but separate field coils for reversing. The usual assumption is that like most other motors you need to connect the two wires to power at the same time. NOT SO with this type motor.

Anyone new to Packards who reads this just be advised that with a couple of exceptions almost all postwar Packard reversible motors -- antenna, windows, seats, TL compensator -- need the case grounded. Only one wire at a time will then connect to power to make the motor run in one direction. To reverse direction, disconnect the first wire and connect the other wire to power. Connecting both wires to power is a big mistake because if case is not grounded, power cannot go thru the armature so motor cannot turn and field coils only will burn or if it is grounded, with both field coils and armature energized the magnetic fields cancel each other and motor also cannot turn. Either way, the motor is just sitting and field coils are getting hot and if case is grounded, armature is also getting hot.

The exceptions to that type motor that I can recall at the moment are the few motors having 4 wires out. Those need special relays or switches to change the field to armature magnetic relationship when changing direction. Case is not grounded on those because ground is provided by one of the wires. Switch or relay takes care of connecting the armature to the field coil in the desired orientation and providing power or ground to the remaining wires. Motors like that are the prewar Deluxe heaters, the prewar hydraulic window pump motor, the 54 4 way power seat, and the 56 pushbutton shift motor.

Posted on: 2022/12/28 23:25
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have already been in contact with Gerry today and a pair of window motors are on the way to me from Packard Southwest soon.

I got the brake pedal remounted after cutting a hole in the firewall pad to make room for it.

Pulled my original heater plenum off the shelf and inspected it. I'll cover that in another post.

Attach file:

jpg  20221229_155902_resized_1.jpg (49.26 KB)
5209_63ae2884900b0.jpg 477X1008 px

Posted on: 2022/12/29 18:54
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I feel so stupid for wasting so many months trying to get a new heater plenum from QuiteRide only to inspect my original plenum that I now think is repairable.

It has been on a shelf for some time and the back side of it had completely separated and is in a couple of pieces. I put the whole thing off the shelf and find that the front of it is much more durable than the back. It's dirty, faded, and maybe a little moldy but usable. All I have to do is rebuild the backside and figure out the channel inside. I could have had this done a year ago.

Posted on: 2022/12/29 19:27
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Ah, such things happen to the best of us. Better late than never!

Re: motors:

That's why if you're doing electrical troubleshooting, just getting a 100W benchtop power supply is great. Just set it to 14V and you can limit the current with the touch of a dial instead of blowing fuses.

If you just hook it to a battery, you'll nearly always have destroyed the component by the time you realize something is wrong.

Just my

Posted on: 2022/12/29 19:36
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I have a vintage VISTA IV desktop power supply that I use. The specs say "The Vista IV provides 12 volts DC at 4 amperes. I've never hooked anything up to a battery.
This stuff was fried before I even got the car.

Posted on: 2022/12/29 19:54
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print 
Sad (1)

« 1 ... 105 106 107 (108) 109 110 111 ... 145 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved