Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (32 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 41

Don B, Joe, TxGoat, Spencer B., CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 117 118 119 (120) 121 122 123 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

Ross wrote:
Noico may be gone now as it was made in Russia. I have bought something called Siless which is the same. Works really well. In half an hour a roof that sounded like a trash can lid when you knuckled it now sounds like it was carved from oak. Same with the doors.

Noico is available but very expensive now. I didn't even realize the link I posted was for Siless. Same stuff, same results.

For the floor and roof I covered nearly every square inch. For the doors (inner and outer panels) I just used patches and squares. Not everything needs to be covered in order for it to absorb sound. There just needs to be enough to absorb vibrations from the panel.

"Carved from oak" is right. The stuff is amazing. Here's a quick video I made back when I did mine:

Posted on: 2023/5/4 13:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I order some Siless sound deadening for the ceiling and doors. I assumed I needed some for the floor but I guess not. Carpet padding will take care of that any issues there.

Put some shiny pieces on the trunk. This was another eBay purchase from a couple of years ago.
The emblem in the center is a little loose. Will the lock hold it in place, when installed, or am I missing a seal or something?

Attach file:

jpg  20230505_094453_resized.jpg (119.40 KB)
5209_645982789a399.jpg 1512X1512 px

Posted on: 2023/5/8 18:15
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
There is a little seal that goes around the lock hole in the sheet metal.

Posted on: 2023/5/8 18:20
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Kev can you post a picture or link to that?

Stewart the lock will hold it in place by the pressure from the spring clip pulling the assembly towards the car.

Posted on: 2023/5/8 21:23
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I'll have to see if I took a picture of it. I bought a NOS lock for my trunk and it was in the box.

If I remember it paper or rubber gasket that was the shape of the lock hole in the sheet metal and about 1/8 wide. If you look at the emblem plastic back, then gasket pretty much is a wide as that lip that goes around the lock.

Not sure if its reproduced or not. But should be able to make out of some gasket stock.

Posted on: 2023/5/9 5:36
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Stewart
Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I saw a post here a few days ago about tires. So I decided to do some digging. I am not actually shopping right now just trying to figure out what to budget for tires.
Anyway, as I was looking I stumbled across these fake whitewalls on eBay. Don't worry I am NOT going to buy these. Just thought I would show you what I found.

Attach file:

png  Screenshot.png (421.01 KB)
5209_6462db99d78bf.png 1366X768 px

Posted on: 2023/5/15 20:25
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
I'm very happy with my Diamondback tires. The tread isn't correct for my model year, but the tires are very well made, ride fantastic, and the whitewalls look just as bright as the day I had them mounted. It's been two years with them on and I've been very pleased.

-Kevin

Posted on: 2023/5/15 20:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The Portawalls bring memories of a 50s teenager on allowance day and a new JC Whitney catalog.

Twas a fad of the time that looks like it has come around again. Back in the day you had to do something to dress up the car and fake sidewalls were about as cheap as you could find. They stayed decent looking just long enough to be mounted and drive out of the station. Even though some tried gluing them on all it took to ruin a set was a good pothole that moved the sidewalls out or one time getting too near that curb which must have jumped out at you and hit the tire. After that it was over quickly.

Packard even got in on the fad and cash flow with their offering of a metal cover. Never saw one so not sure exactly how they mounted or what they actually covered. No idea on longevity compared to the flexible type might have been either.

Attach file:

jpg  wheel cover.jpg (246.78 KB)
209_6462e0a4c9633.jpg 1920X1414 px

Posted on: 2023/5/15 20:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Back when I was a teenager, even Port-o-Walls were out of the budget for my 1941 Henney-Packard so I bought a can of white tire rubber and painted them onto the new and very inexpensive 7.50X16 blackwall tires! They looked so good that I also did the same to my Honda 350 motorcycle a few years later.

Posted on: 2023/5/16 2:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I can't post the video here but the engine was started for the first time this evening.

I posted it on the PackardInfo FB page.

It's nothing you have not seen before but it is a huge hurdle for me.

Posted on: 2023/5/16 18:47
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 117 118 119 (120) 121 122 123 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved