Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
172 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 172

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

fuelpump problems ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

roger
See User information
hi, ive have a 49 23rd series i havent had her on the road in a couple years so i finaly got her on the road and she will stall in second and third i was wondering if there is a gas filter that i could check before i go to the fuel pump or if there is something with the carburator i could check as well ive been workin on this since the begining of summer and missing out on drive time thanks for the help
roger

Posted on: 2008/6/30 22:05
 Top  Print 

Re: fuelpump problems ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In the pump itself, there should be a screen inside the bottom cover. If you have the ceramic filter inline to the carb, sometimes those get varnished up and look clean but the pores are unable to pass more than a trickle of gas--barely enough to keep it idling.
Big Kev has a how to article (How to articles section, front page) on rebuilding the pump that gives a good look at where the screen is located. That pump is a later model, but I think yours is similar.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 9:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
It's difficult to diagnose from a distance. But, I would check the fuel supply by disconnecting the fuel line from the carburetor and cranking the engine to determine if enough fuel is being delivered by the pump through any filter.
Then, look down the carburetor throat and activate the throttle linkage to see if the accelerator jets are supplying fuel. If not, take the carburetor apart and check to see if the accelerator jets are plugged. It seems this new formulated fuel dries to a residue in these small passageways. Use a small piece of .023 wire from a welder. I find the accelerator pump also tends to dry out and doesn't deliver the required amount of fuel for acceleration or higher speeds.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 20:00
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

King_Rat
See User information
I own a 51' packard and Im having fuel pump problems also. I am actually trying to replace the one I have now and am having a problem locating a place that would either sell me a dual action fuel pump or rebuild the one i already have. Any one have any suggestions?

Posted on: 2008/7/3 13:57
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
They are pretty easy to rebuild yourself. If you read my How-To article it should give you a good foundation. The rebuild kits are $40-$50.

While this artle is based around the Carter Double-Action fuel pump found in most 51-54 Packards, the concepts and how the part work apply to almost every mechanical fuel pump made.

Here is the link to the article:

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/article/view.article.php?122

Posted on: 2008/7/3 15:40
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
As long as the diaphrams are good in the fuel pump, I would say that a clogged screen in the fuel pump body is usually a good place to start when looking for a problem.

Other place to look is the glass bowl filter before the carb, and the pick-up in the gas tank.

Also the rubber valve seals in the fuel pump can cause problem as they age.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 15:45
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
ok so we are dicussing fuel issue... why do I see bubbles in my glass bowl filter while the car is running?

Posted on: 2008/7/3 19:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can you tell if they're pumped or just collecting. If pumped, could have a small pinhole somewhere allowing air to mix under suction or it could just be todays crappy gas reacting to temperature, and that being the highest point, collecting there.

Posted on: 2008/7/3 22:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:

roger49 wrote:
hi, ive have a 49 23rd series ........
roger

Quote:

King_Rat wrote:
I own a 51' packard ........

Guy's welcome to the site. As I'm a novice I'll leave the advice to the experts.

But, could you guys add your Packards to the Owner Registry please? And include a pic and, if possible, any known history?

and again

Posted on: 2008/7/4 1:00
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved