Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 82

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Retainer and Clip Sizes
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Trying to gather up all the clips and retainers I need for to reinstall the belt line moulding back on the car after paint. Almost all of my clips were rusted away. So going to start fresh. The problem is that the Parts List does have any description on the clips/retainers as far as size. It took me awhile just to figure out what part numbers I would even need. So does anyone know the type and size for the following clips and retainers? Also am I missing any P/Ns?

Attach file:

jpg  (31.36 KB)
1_5123f2eb7c5e5.jpg 604X283 px

Posted on: 2013/2/19 16:47
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Re: Retainer and Clip Sizes
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I can't tell you how many times I've wished the 1948-1954 Parts Manual had a 'Group 50' like the 1935-1941 Parts Manual has. The value of having a drawing, and the detailed specs for every single nut, bolt, screw, fastener, seal, etc. is huge.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 17:42
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Tell me about it. Even the 55-56 had one of those sections. I guess I am just going to have to measure the trim and go with my best guesstimation.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 17:59
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I had the same problem but had a few rusty remains of clips etc to go on. I haven't installed the belt line trim yet so don't know for sure whether clips I bought are correct.

Suggestion is that you order just one or two of each of what you think are correct from Restoration Specialties Catalog or you can send them samples if you have them (which is what I did). They ship fairly quickly. Catalog also has illustrations that are 'same size' as the part.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I think I have clips on my trim, but the doors are frozen solid on my car. Here are pics of the clips I have access to. When my hand warms up, I will take pic of the other clip where the spear is on the fender. Sorry the pics are blurry but it is cold outside!!!

First pics are the clips that run the length of the long trim piece that connects to the spear on the front fender.

The spring looking clip is on the front door next to the front fender.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.71 KB)
508_512415f3b5dce.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (23.71 KB)
508_512415fcdebbb.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (30.34 KB)
508_5124160732b5d.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (31.41 KB)
508_5124160fd4e78.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (39.45 KB)
508_5124167e36d28.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:17
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
After so many years and possibly a repair or removal or two, it's not a given that what is there now is what was there originally as far as type. Some of the old clips and sizes are NLA and universals will have to be used now.

On the long straight strips, frequently there are two types mixed. Generally the spring wire type for the majority and particularly if the trim is hard to access from the back. Even if hard to access there is usually one or two of the stud or bolt on type clips strategically placed to cinch down and prevent the long trim piece from shifting. Particularly important on the doors where slamming could make the trim move a slight bit.

If the trim is totally accessible such as in the front fender or trunk then frequently only the stud type. Those in the trunk area usually had a rubber gasket around the stud for waterproofing.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Here is the clip that would be under the front spear head. It has the edges bent around, not straight like the others. Camera died but width is 1/2".

Attach file:

jpg  (32.82 KB)
508_51241a62afd6d.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (24.08 KB)
508_51241a6e2fc69.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2013/2/19 19:36
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks guys. From what I understand and remember, if the holes are round, it takes a clip with a stud and a nut/seal on the backside. If the hole is square, then it takes a push in wire style clip.

The problem is that the trims are different between models and years. So unless someone knew the sizes of those exact part numbers, or the size for the trim off a '54 Deluxe, it may not be the same. Guess I just need to measure the trim at the various locations and figure out the width needed. I will report back.

Posted on: 2013/2/19 23:59
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved