Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 214

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Ultramatic Transmssion Mystery after rebuild
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Recently the Ultramatic transmission on my 52/200 was removed and completely "gone through" because the transmission would not go into direct drive. My transmission rebuilder meticulously "went through" the transmission including replacing seals, bands and clutch plate. Upon reinstalling the transmission my mechanic followed the directions on refilling with fluid and after the first 6 quarts of fluid, started the engine and the fluid started coming out of the fill hole. Apparently the torque converter is not taking the oil and filling up, so that the other quarts of fluid can be added. Consequently everything on hold.

**any and all comments or tactics appreciated on how to proceed.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (80.76 KB)
3440_512e59c700dfc.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (74.33 KB)
3440_512e59e552791.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (129.05 KB)
3440_512e5a0716c04.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (156.98 KB)
3440_512e5a1e71907.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/2/27 14:13
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Transmssion Mystery after rebuild
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

54packman1
See User information
almost sounds like the front pump is not working or feeding the converter,did you reinstall the oil transfer tubes, from the front pump to the oilcooler? 2 1/4 inch tubes about 2 inches long? have you checked the test port on the bell housing for pressure? how is the snow there?

Posted on: 2013/2/27 14:43
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
I have not done the things you have listed myself...I'm trying to contact my rebuilder in San Antonio, but he is not available this week. I will ask him about the oil transfer tubes asap. The test port will have to be looked at.
**snow? Are you kidding me, we don't have snow here, that's why we live here. Its 60 degrees outside but windy and cannot work in garage. So I'm in the forum. Thank for your input, appreciate it. Come to our Packard meet April 5-6-7, Salado TX.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 15:29
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No help on the filling problem, but when you listed the parts replaced I saw no note about replacing shaft bushings. I hope they were replaced as well and just not mentioned or all the work may end up being for naught - bushing/shaft clearances on Ultramatics are extremely important.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 15:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Going along with O_D's comment about bushings, the flow path thru converter is between the input and reactor shafts and between reactor and pump shafts & then into spaces & passages in the front pump. If any bushings were replaced and not precisely positioned, one could be compromising those areas & could be an issue.

Also the converter exit goes thru the oil cooler back to pan. Am assuming the cooler and the tubes are intact & in good shape so there is actually a path for oil flow.

Posted on: 2013/2/27 16:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Is the test port on the bell housing visible in photos
above??

How does the test port work??

Bushings were not replaced with new unless they came
with the reseal kit.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 7:55
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Bushings were not replaced with new unless they came
with the reseal kit.

Your refill problem aside, as the transmission is still out of the vehicle I very strongly suggest you purchase and install the bushings - those clearances are critical to a satisfactory rebuild.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 8:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
David, it is funny to me that you went to someone in San Antonio to have your transmission worked on. 15+ years ago I took my 55 400 to Austin to have the transmission worked on at transmission shop north of town.

I guess the Ultramatic guys keep moving south.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 9:24
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Hi: well don't just sit there, tell me who it is.

A friend in the Buick club used a retired Buick dynaflow guy in SAntonio to rebuild his 55 Buick transmission. He had good luck on the rebuild so I rushed my Ultramatic to him for reworking. He did beautiful work, but right now he is away from phone. My mechanic guy thinks we might need to "prime" the torque coverter to get things going. I hope we don't have to do this.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 10:14
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

David Childs
See User information
Transmission has been reinstalled in the car...after adding the first 6 quarts of fluid, engine was started so as to fill the torque converter, followed by adding the remaining quarts of oil (7, I think).
Oil started gushing out of the fill hole, on top of transmission as though torque converter did not want to fill up. My mechanic raised the car in the back so oil could drain forward, hopefully going to the right places, so that remainder of oil can be added.
That is where we are right now. Mechanic is busy with other cars, but will resume Ultramatic work soon.

Posted on: 2013/2/28 10:27
Love Packards
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved