Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (107 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Trunk Liner???
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Hi all, I recently aquired my first Packard, a 51' 400 Patrician. While 99% of the car is complete and original, I seem to be missing the truck lining, if my car was even equipped with one. I can see the sheetmetal, and springs in my rear seat, and it just looks....bare!! I was hoping to see if there was a supplier that made new "liners" or are they kind of...homemade now? I was thinking of picking up some thin mdf and gluing some auto carpet to it for now, and forming it to my trunk. I dont plan on having a "concorse" restoration car, but I dont want the trunk to look like c*ap either. I would appreciate any ideas...Thanks!

Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/1 17:54
 Top  Print 

Re: Trunk Liner???
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The back of the seat should have a cardboard like panel between it and the trunk.

The trunk itself does not have a liner, but was covered in a spray-on "flocking". As far as I know that flocking is not reproduced by anyone. That flocking really never lasted. Some people just paint the inside of the trunk to protect it, other have a carpet mat made to line the floor of the trunk.

If someone has other ideas, then I would like to hear them.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 19:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
For what it's worth I just replaced the deteriorated backing panel on my rear seat also. It was falling apart with rot.

Go to Lowe's and get a 4x8 sheet of 1/8" masonite (they call it "hardboard"). Use a saber saw to cut it to size and mount it to the "X" frame behind the seat with 3 or four nut/bolt combos. Paint the back of it the same color as you're going to use inside the trunk.

I also covered mine on the inside facing side with some thermal barrier. Ought to cut down on noise from my whiny differential.

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:08
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Thanks BigKev, I was kinda figuring it may have had the "spatter" type paint treatment from the factory, but I guess I still need to fab up a cover for the back of the seat. I know I saw a few pics of packard trunks with some type of vinyl, or fabric fitted lining that covered up every surface of the trunk, but it may have been specific to a different year?

Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:17
Jeff

1951 Patrician 400
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Jay,
Thats a great idea, I'll have to go check out Lowes tomorrow...Thanks!
Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/1 21:18
Jeff

1951 Patrician 400
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I believe 56s (and 55s?) had the trunk liner you are thinking of. But I will let the V8 guys speak to that.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 0:30
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Flocking material and application equipment is available however I can't speak for texture as compared to original and how much you'd have to experiment to get the correct color.
http://www.donjer.com/

Posted on: 2008/7/2 8:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my 55 had a liner and it was a checkered pattern, kinda black and white from what i could tell it was so dirty.

the sides were cardboard type material like the back of the seat.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 9:49
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
my 55 had a liner and it was a checkered pattern, kinda black and white from what i could tell it was so dirty.

the sides were cardboard type material like the back of the seat.

Posted on: 2008/7/2 9:49
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jeff
See User information
Thanks everyone, I kinda figured after looking at several pics , that the only "true" liners available were on the 55 and later cars....I think i'm going to fab up a back for the seats, and a floor "pan", and probably upholster them with auto grade carpet, and just paint the remaining trunk walls.....thanks for the flocking link too....that will come in handy down the road when I want to do a true "show car" resto...

Jeff-

Posted on: 2008/7/2 10:09
Jeff

1951 Patrician 400
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved