Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 207

William Grosz, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

electric fuel pump use
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I've been looking at a prewar Packard with an electric fuel pump. When do I use it?
All the time
Just when I start it
On hot days to prevent vapor lock

Posted on: 2013/3/21 7:25
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: electric fuel pump use
Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
I use it for a primer... Good for vapor lock too. There is no need to use it otherwise.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 7:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I turn it on if the car's been sitting for a week, so it's a primer for me, too. Also, sometimes in traffic when the car begins to stutter, I immediately hit the switch and it comes back to life.

The only time the electric pump failed to solve the problem was last summer on the CCCA CARavan in Iowa when the temperature in the shade hit 105 degrees. The crappy gas they sell there probably had something to do with it, too.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 8:40
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I have a 6 volt fuel pump located down on the frame inline along with a filter. It is rated at 5 PSI.

I leave it on with the ignition switch all the time and have had no problems. There is a turnoff switch up under the dash.

The guy who had the car before me put it on because sometimes the car would start to stall and turning on the pump cured it.

These pumps are made for continuous duty and the low pressure (5 psi) pumps are intended to use with a float fed carburetor.

It has been turned on for the past 3000 miles and I actually forgot about it.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 13:11
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
From a safety standpoint, I would recommend a push button switch like a starter button. In case of an accident or fire, the fuel supply would then be in-active if the engine was stopped.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 23:13
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Saffron wrote:
From a safety standpoint, I would recommend a push button switch like a starter button. In case of an accident or fire, the fuel supply would then be in-active if the engine was stopped.

Some kind of fail safe kill option is a good idea for those who have pumps that are on all the time. An inertia switch might be an easier to use option. There are also the oil pressure operated fuel pump safety switches that could be used if there is an extra provision made for pump to run and supply starting gas on those cars needing it.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 23:50
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Al
See User information
The push button switch is the way to go. Great for priming and/or vapor lock. If the carburetor and fuel pump are functioning properly, which they should be, why use an electric all the time? I'm not one for unnecessary modification.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 7:09
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have mine on a toggle off the ignition. I only use it for priming and vapor lock situations, other than that, I use only the mechanical. Shutting off the ignition kills the election pump if the toggle was accidentally left in the on positon.

You could also probably use a latching relay off of something that is only hot or grounded then the engine is actually running, with a momentary switch for initial engagement.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 10:52
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

BigKev wrote:
Shutting off the ignition kills the election pump if the toggle was accidentally left in the on positon.

Big Kev,

That assumes you are conscious after the accident...

Inertial switches are super easy to install in a hidden but accessible spot. I have never had any of mine trip as a result of bumps (even some very large ones!).

Here is the type I use. It is a Ford product, widely available (including Amazon, where I got the photo).

Cheers,
Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (30.67 KB)
333_5151c682a9976.jpg 1001X1001 px

Posted on: 2013/3/26 11:02
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

tbirdman
See User information
I'm living dangerously. I have mine turned on via the ignition switch and plumbed directly to the carb with a 2-4 lb psi pump. I'm hoping plumbed directly to the carb will sove my vapor lock problem.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 19:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved