Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
203 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 5
Guests: 198

Gary Kulp, CCR, dallas, cooldude980, 64avanti, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ebay Packard (1941)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
If this car is what they say it is--isn't it a pretty good deal? I thought these conv. sedans were going in the 60s as far as price goes in very good condition like this one. Only problem stated is bad gear tooth on 2nd gear. What exactly would that mean as far as actual shifting goes?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1941-Convertible-sedan-120-/230950861662?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item35c5be7b5e#ht_483wt_1184

Posted on: 2013/3/21 15:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Ebay Packard (1941)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
I thought the same thing about the car.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 15:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't have the book open right now, (but I think the interior is wrong) see below it's correct, and the springs are definitely bad.

So the kingpins are probably shot as well.

The trans is an admitted problem, but it's not a senior car so that can be easily fixed, and I'm sure the motor needs some work too.

I knew someone who used to run a 40 120 back and forth across the country and he was doing the motor every other trip it seemed. When new those cars performed very well, but as the blocks and crankshafts age they seem to lose the stamina they had when new.

Posted on: 2013/3/21 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Is the interior wrong by color or material or design?

How can you tell the springs are bad? Does it look to be sitting too low?

Lastly, how much of a problem is a messed up tooth on 2nd gear? Can you live with it?

Posted on: 2013/3/21 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Maybe I'm a little sensitive about dissing convertible sedans. Ok, I am, so don't take offense, Tim. When I'm gone, if the kids put My pride and joy, The Duchess, up for sale, I hope for a kinder approach. We were taught to identify at least 3 positives for every negative. Helps to put things in perspective.

There are many, many positives about this car.

Here's a 1941 160 Conv Sedan listed at NADA Classic Cars
http://www.autotraderclassics.com/classic-car/1941-Packard-Other+Packard+Models-860417.xhtml?conversationId=26758
Yes, it's a senior, but the asking is almost $75k

Attached is the NADA range for the eBay 120 car. This car is definitely above average. 1500 miles on the rebuild. I think the color is influenced quite a bit by the lighting in the garage. So, yes, it's 10-30k underpriced, so plenty of room to fix the radio, etc. This is a very cool car. Fender skirts and all, real 1941.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.90 KB)
1067_514ba240a4fc5.jpg 704X424 px

Posted on: 2013/3/21 19:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I have the book in front of me and the leather pattern is correct for a single tone job.

The transmission probably got damaged from going into two gears at once and locking up. Under load on a steep hill could have it peeling away the rest of the teeth.

Fixing the ride height is important because collapsed springs will have the frame taking a total beating on the road. It isn't until 1951 that Packard springs stopped sagging, I think because they firmed the ride for the use of tube shocks. Pre-war cars are notorious for sagging right down to zero travel. That was the price paid for the soft ride quality.

I don't think I'm being hard on the car, but this is a forum and the truth will out.

Also, please note that if someone puts up a picture of their car for whatever reason, other than sales promotion, I don't go off and say things like "I hate to ruin your day but your car needs springs..."

In the pictures below the sagging car will have the coils collapsed with no suspension travel. They even tilted the camera to obscure the visual problem with the ride height.

Attach file:

jpg  (54.32 KB)
373_514bcec171918.jpg 750X585 px

jpg  (18.68 KB)
373_514bced6c5c7d.jpg 480X342 px

Posted on: 2013/3/21 21:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I thought that all non-senior cars had push-out vent windows. This car has roll-out. Is that part of the deluxe package?

Posted on: 2013/3/22 10:52
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Maybe I need a new prescription for my glasses but those look like push-out vent windows to me. I don't see a crank for them.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello West:

Please look again. The junior series did have push/pull vent windows - just as this car does. Otherwise, you would see an additional small (2.5 inch) window crank immediately below the vent window. This car only has the interior door handle and the main window crank.

--Roger--

Posted on: 2013/3/22 11:30
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Were the springs for the sagging cars made in Saginaw, Michigan? That would explain it.

Posted on: 2013/3/22 12:42
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved