Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

brake lights
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
for the last 2 days people have stopped beside me to tell me my brake lights are not working. It is true that if I don't put alot of pressure on the pedal the light does not come on, but if put alot of pressure on the pedal thay come on, do I need a new switch? or is there an aftermarket electric switch (where would I get one)

would taking the switch out and cleaning it make a difference

some people get a thrill telling you that there is a problem with your ride

Posted on: 2008/7/4 14:16
 Top  Print   

Re: brake lights
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
You only need a two-terminal hydraulic switch. It is cheap and easy to replace. If you are using silicon brake fluid then I would recommend a mechanical-style switch that can be mounted on the lower steering column and actuated by the brake pedal itself. Silicon brake fluid will ruin a hydraulic switch in about a year.
I know of no way to clean a sealed hydraulic switch.

Posted on: 2008/7/4 14:39
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
I am using Silicon brake fluid

where can I get a mechanical-style switch ?

Posted on: 2008/7/4 14:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have power brakes, here's how to do a 55-6 with the switch numbers. Available at any parts store. You wouldn't need the switch with extra terminals for the TL but same switch would work fine on regular cars and not too expensive. I don't know how bracket measurements would fit on your car but am sure it could be adapted. If you have regular brakes, then same principal but entirely different arrangement to pedals.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.92 KB)
209_486e7fa1370cb.jpg 800X457 px

Posted on: 2008/7/4 14:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Danny Petty
See User information
I found this tpye of switch will it work

Attach file:

jpg  (12.92 KB)
396_486e83c26b6a1.jpg 261X269 px

Posted on: 2008/7/4 15:11
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am sure it will work electrically. Just a matter of figuring out how/where you will mount it. Looks like it would go on firewall and lever adjusted to pedal arm..Not sure about regular brakes.

Posted on: 2008/7/4 15:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Just as a matter of broader interest, the Packard service manual, when advising on how to find a current drain that is draining the battery when the car is not being used, notes that one common cause is a defective brake light switch.

I guess this is because that switch is wired so that it is "hot" even with the ignition off, on most cars, for safety reasons.

So, when it starts to get erratic in its normal function, you might also develop a battery discharge problem.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/4 21:53
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I belive someone said that a 70's VW switch is a direct replacement for the Packard switch. I just dont have the parts number.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 1:23
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
The following two Wells hydraulic brake light switches will work on the 55th/56th series cars:

Wells BF 4805 - two prong for non torsion-level
Wells RB 403 - three prong for cars with torsion-level

The electrical connectors on the RB 403,(that fits early '70s VWs) three prong switch are different but, internally and operationally it is the same switch as the original and can be used by changing the wiring connectors.

The two-prong switch, listed above, is a direct replacement for the one on the 55th & 56th series, non torsion-level suspension cars. I do not know but would suspect that it can be used on earlier models.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 12:31
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Loyd, if you can add those to the parts database that would be great! Thanks.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 15:42
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved