Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 130

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 400 intake manifold
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Taylor
See User information
Hi All
Just separated the intake and exhaust manifolds to find a lot or corrosion products in the intake manifold on the exhaust side. The diverting butterfly valve in the exhaust chamber is also seized. The intake manifold appears to have survived intact but I am thinking about putting a thin stainless steel blank off between the exhaust and intake to prevent further corrosion of the manifold. Any comments?
As the car will never run below 50 deg F I dont think the exhaust heater for the manifold is required.

Thanks for your help

Posted on: 2013/3/25 19:15
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 400 intake manifold
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
soak the rod that the butterfly rotates around in PB Blaster or Kroil. Kerosene can also work. Let it soak for several days then tap lightly(!!!) on the ends of the shaft with a small hammer, alternating from one end to the other. After a few days it should loosen up and rotate. Lube with graphite with you get it loose. I think Max Merrit or one of the usual suppliers carries the replacement weights, shafts etc. Can't help you on the corrosion issue - don't have an idea on that.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 20:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It is reasonable to expect exhaust deposits and corrosion because exhaust gases pass thru the intake manifold. If it is real heavy deposits or signifcantly plugged then clean it out. Probably plugged or heavy deposits due to alot of stopping and starting of engine, short runs, city driving etc over the years.

Posted on: 2013/3/25 21:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Steve Taylor
See User information
Thanks for the comments guys. The cast iron intake "heater section" has been quite badly eaten away by the corrosion from the exhaust but I think I will try freeing up the butterfly valve and getting some control parts.

As far I can tell, the exhaust gases are not supposed to get into the intake path but act to heat the intake air. There does not appear to be any holes between the exhaust side of the intake manifold and the intake side. If anyone has any pictures of what this heater section should look like, I would appreciate it. I'll post some pictures of what I have when I go back to the shop this weekend.

I appreciate you help.

Steve

Posted on: 2013/3/26 16:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information

Posted on: 2013/4/2 9:25
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved