Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 78

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Getting at instrument wiring???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you succeeded. Better luck than others have had getting it far enough forward. Speedo cable probably needs pulling entirely out, cleaned and relubed with the graphite based stuff made for that purpose. Make sure it isn't limp or kinked anywhere. Don't remember if that speedo does, but some have a small oil hole above shaft that could stand a drop of light oil to wet the felt.

As to clock, the points probably need cleaning & burnishing and mechanism probably also just needs cleaning & lube. Lube with instrument or watchmakers oil-nothing heavier. Others say they've had luck with WD_40 and just as many say no way. I vote with the latter because it seems to work for a short while but collects dust and becomes gummy on things I've used it on.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 11:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Getting at instrument wiring???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
HH56: Thanks for the pointer on the speedo cable. Can I safely pull the cable up and out of its sheath, lube it with graphite, and then be able to safely and properly get it back IN to the sheath and to engage the drive at the tranny end of the cable?

If so, I will probably try that real soon, as I would like toget a STEADY speedo needle and long life out of the cable!

Can a rank amateur actually take the clock apart, or does it require any expertise in clocks?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/5 20:52
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved