Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
231 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 228

dick29, humanpotatohybrid, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1953 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Mike
See User information
Going too be looking at a 1953 Packard soon to buy, from the photo seems to look ok with a little rust good glass form the photo interior looks ok with a bad 327 motor that is out of the car asking $750 for the car.
would this be a good buy

Thank You for all your help, Im not going to buy the 53 Packard. Im going to look at a 1950 Packard that is running and the engine has been rebuilt

Posted on: 2013/3/29 13:06
 Top  Print   

Re: 1953 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Interior and Body/Paint are the most expensive things on the car to deal with. As long as the motor is rebuildable, that sounds like a good price.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 14:26
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Hello M&M,
Don't be in a rush to buy the first car that come by. A Packard (or for that matter any car), that has the engine out leaves you with the word of the seller that the trans, brakes, differential, dash, lights, gauges, gas tank and the dozens of other systems suspect.....why, because unless you are really knowledgeable about this type of car and can access the potential viability of all the other systems you have no way of predetermining the actual soundness of the car and the potential monetary investment you have taken on. The engine will cost about 2 to 3 thousand dollars (worst case) and it's still not running because you don't know the condition of the radiator, carburetor, distributor, charging system, or starting system to name a few. If you're going to spend engine rebuild $ plus the cost of the car, you're already somewhere around 3k to 3500K, and, if you have really bad karma and the transmission doesn't work.....well, you don't want to go there 'cause it'll make you cry. But, this is only my opinion. Enjoy the hunt and follow your gut feelings.

Just my 2cents....

Steve...
1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper

Posted on: 2013/3/29 17:20
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
having been down the path of "I'll buy it cheap and fix it up" many times, I have finally realized it is best to buy the best car you can, and spend your money on stuff like new tires and wax. Let some other poor fool fix them up! FYI, that was usually me.....the only exemption to this in my book is when you and your kid want some bonding/education time together. My daughter and I fixed up a cheap 67 Mustang before she got her driver's license. We worked on it for a year before she could drive. She did the upholstery, helped with body work, engine overhaul, brakes etc. Great learning experience for her and brought us closer together. That was worth the $4000 to build a $2000 car. Plus when she went to college, gave the car to my future son in law in exchange for a summer's worth of weekend work at our house. That worked out really well!

Posted on: 2013/3/29 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Yes, I agree.

My recommendation is also to buy the best old car you can, unless it is something so special or so cheap that you can't pass it up.

My 1955 Patrician is a good example. I've done a lot to it, but right out the box it was able to make a 1100 mile trip home. Since, I've done a lot to it, but everyone still likes it's originality.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/3/29 19:46
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved