Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 144

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

Re: 1948 Deluxe rear window
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I finally found 3M Silicone Lubricant ( Dry Type ) at Gladwin Paint if anyone needs some. Part # 3M08897. A real bargain too $ 4.53 + Tax Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2013/4/29 17:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Glad you were able to find it and hope it does the job. Being dry with just a minimal amount of liquid carrier it won't saturate the mohair as other types would.

As was mentioned, usually the mohair wears and falls off so windows are loose, not tight. I'd still keep an eye out for a strip loose or a hidden torn area resulting in something bunching and mechanically binding the window.

Posted on: 2013/4/29 17:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Can someone give me advise on what is the proper and easiest was to reinstall the left rear window regulator in my 48 Sedan - I tried to do a trial run before I lube everything. Does the arm go in the door channel first or does the winder bolt in first . Neither seem to work . The window is propped in the UP position . Thanks for your help -

Posted on: 2013/5/13 13:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The window would stay in the top position and blocked so it can't fall.

Based on the instructions in manual crank the regulator to make sure it is in the normal window down position. If it is up, without the weight of the window you might need to clamp the gear sector portion in a vise and push down on the arm against the spring while cranking to lower the arm. Once in that down configuration the assembly would be inserted in the access hole and worked up into a general position where the cross or free arm pin can slide in the channel in door. Once that pin is inserted then move the regulator into position so the screws can be installed. If you can get one started then if needed you can crank or twist the regulator using the one screw as a pivot until the rest line up. Once the screws are installed remove the block and lower the window to the bottom and insert the arm pins in window channel. Then install the retaining clips and raise or lower the window a little to make the adjustments for the down stop.

Posted on: 2013/5/13 18:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
When I crank the regulator to the normal down position, and slide the arm pin in the channel in the door, the gear section is hanging straight down . Then to get the gear section to mount, I will have to push it to the right and up (under pressure) , past the cross bar to the mounting holes. Going to be hard to do. Am I missing something ?

Posted on: 2013/5/14 1:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
I found out it can be done. I think the trick is to wire two arms together in a partial open- partial closed position. Then the door channel arm and the winder are in position . Push the arm in the door channel -move the winder into position and install with the four screws. I will remove the whole thing again to lube the door channel and the winding mechanism. Then check the travel of the glass - If all looks good, reinstall the regulator, remove the wire I used, and attach the arms to the glass. More later -

Posted on: 2013/5/14 18:20
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6)

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved