Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 117

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Packard Industrial Engines?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Sounds like we're two peas in a pod, as I too have had Internationals and have wanted a '56 Golden Hawk for fun and pleasure. I'm mainly concentrating on the straight eights right now, but I've had a little experience with Packard V8's.

Posted on: 2008/7/5 22:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Well next time you're down this way,I live SE of Leon which is on 400 hiway east of Augusta.
Lot of rusty er treasures around here.
Oh by the way I still haven't heard anybody weigh in about Packard industrial engines.The closest I had ever heard about were the marine engines back in the mahogany boat era.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 15:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I don't know much about the Industrial Packard engines, but I'd sure like to see the one you have.

The invitation extends to you too, if you're ever here in Wichita, I'm right off Seneca and 31st St. South.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 20:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wonder if Robert Neal's Packard engine book would have any information in this regard.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
According to Robert Neal's "Master Motor Builders", Packard produced 252 of the ID-327, all in 1950. Some of the other ID engines were based on the 245 cubic inch L-6, some V-4 configurations in 1953-54 of 155 cubic inches, and 310, 320 and 352 cubic inch V8s.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Thanks
The book didn't mention any possible uses for these engines or what if any differences there might be from the regular 327?

Posted on: 2008/7/6 22:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The ID-327 was based on the 3-1/2 x 4-1/4 327 engine with 5 main bearings. Horsepower is given as 78@1800 rpm, 88@2000, and 96@2200. The engines were equipped with a governor which limited rpm to 2400. There were four variants available, "A" was simply a basic engine for the purchaser to adapt to whatever his end use was. "B" included a heat exchanger cooling system, control panel and engine supports. "C" came with a radiator, fan, mounting rails and instrument panel, and "D" came supplied with a full external metal housing enclosure and optionally a gas tank. Some problems were encountered with the cast iron clutch ring when operators disabled the governor to run at much higher rpms and at least one fatality was recorded as the clutch and flywheel shattered. There are pictures of all 4 variants in Neal's book, but no particular information on what applications purchasers used these engines for.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 8:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
My guess would be that it was a stationary irrigation pump engine. They're pretty around here. (NOT Packards, but the stationary engines, I have a 320 V8 that was used as a stationary irrigation engine run on propane, but it was originally out of a '55 Hash)

Posted on: 2008/7/7 12:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Kansasboy
See User information
Yea that makes sense about the irrigation angle since the car came from around the Ft Collins, CO area as far as I can tell.
Thanks guys, for some info it would have hard if not impossible to come by anywhere else.It seems to run great but I am having some really bad probs with varnish in the tank.We drained it of course,(it had sat since 1983 or so) but this gunk must have been on the walls of the tank,it came through the filter and screens and carburetor and is lying on the bottom of the intake! Black as pitch and sets up when exposed to air.So I am waiting on a new carb kit and I guess we will pull the tank and clean it out.
Any suggestions on a good (easy) way to do this?

Posted on: 2008/7/7 13:55
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved