Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 93

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 28 »

Howard's 47 Custom project
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Well, have decided I'm tired of looking at the car in it's current state. The time has come to do something. Exactly what or how much to do is still in flux but did start by cleaning all the parts out of the inside today. Oh, how I wish digital cameras were available back when I took it apart. Seeing all those boxes of assorted parts again has given thought to just calling the junkyard. But, we shall see how far my feeble memory and the few pictures I did take way back when will go.

One nice thing after removing the carpet today is there doesn't appear to be any more rust than I already knew about and that was in the panel below the trunk lid. Of course, removal of other things and the outside trim might find some more. One thing I did find is not a single piece of rubber anywhere is still soft. Every piece cracked and hard as a rock. With so much needed, if I do move full speed ahead, I guess Steele can plan his next expansion. Had bought a wire loom and some rubber years ago but that just scratches the surface. Engine is another question. I had it rebuilt by a Packard guy many years ago but it has sat untouched since. With my luck that's where all the rust is.

Another decision is whether to lift the body and start on the chassis or leave it together. Leaning toward separating since it's so far apart already and the chassis work would be much easier. Doesn't appear to be as bad in separating as doing the 56 and I managed to get that one back together. Again, we shall see cuz I was a lot younger, probably smarter and definitely had more energy when that one was done. Getting a mechanically decent and clean chassis and then getting it back together is the first step though.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.41 KB)
209_5161c70a66c1e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.81 KB)
209_5161c71296341.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/7 14:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Howard's 47 Custom project
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Howard, seeing the green at pic #2 makes me green with envy. We hunger for spring.
I wish you success and hope that the restoring process will bring you joy!

Caution notice: I smell trouble with Mal. Be fast to include the car in the registry.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 14:52
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard,

When I visited back in October, and saw the '47, it seemed that it's resurrection was unlikely. But now glad to see you've started giving it new life. Will be eagerly following along as it returns to it's former glory. Hopefully my few pic's from the visit will help set the scene.

Caution notice: I smell trouble with Mal. Be fast to include the car in the registry.
No, not trouble, just my usual gentle once only reminder to include your '47 Custom in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!
PS, Gerd, didn't realise the '47 wasn't on board!

Attach file:

jpg  (30.59 KB)
226_5161d599a87a6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.97 KB)
226_5161d5a8bce53.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.45 KB)
226_5161d5b92862e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.54 KB)
226_5161d5c5022d6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (35.92 KB)
226_5161d5d6dd217.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.20 KB)
226_5161d66e3b992.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2013/4/7 15:28
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Howard, seeing the green at pic #2 makes me green with envy. We hunger for spring.

Gerd, It's been spring here for several weeks whereas it should be our rainy season. I'm loving it right now but will pay later. With a very dry winter, the farms just saw their seasonal water allotment cut to almost nothing. Several said they are not going to grow anything this year. In a couple of months we are going to be hurting.

No, not trouble, just my usual gentle once only reminder to include your '47 Custom in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

Mal, I promise maybe -- soon. Have to go thru a multitude of boxes to find the number plate for info --- there is always the chance it will become a parts car too. Several 47's sold lately for far less than what this will cost. Haven't fully committed or quite justified the cost or amount of work to put this one back together yet. If I take the body off and find no big surprises, we'll see.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 15:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Howard for including your '47 Custom Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry.
And too, to Gerd for bringing this oversight to our attention!

Posted on: 2013/4/8 17:43
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gary
See User information
Howard, I look forward to following your blog on what appears to be a fine looking and solid specimen for breathing new life back into. Not only that, but it does my heart good to see someone of similar age as myself commit to the restoration of yet another classic example of American ingenuity at its best. I ceratinly wish you the strength and energy to go the distance and we all are behind you...I only wish I were there to help!

Posted on: 2013/4/8 21:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll need it as the long sit has turned it into a basket case. Not much done today other than a circle or two around looking at a few things. It's outside under a cover but we had heavy & cold winds all day long. One strong gust about 5 minutes into it this morning put me right out of the mood.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 22:53
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Good luck with your 47 project Howard !

Posted on: 2013/4/9 8:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
My personal opinion is to not remove the body unless u have very convenient equipment to do so. The frame (front section in pics) and according to your description of the body is very clean and rust free. Therefore not much point to remove body. Change rubber body cushions yes, but that should not require removal of the body from the frame.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 9:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Keith, I expect you're right about the body and still haven't made up my mind.

I have the tools -- or at least the same ones used when pulling the 56 body off so that isn't the worry. The worry today is I'm 25 years older, at least that much heavier, and probably don't remember all the headaches I might have had when doing it back then.

Think for right now I'll just move the car out a bit farther away from the cover so I can raise the whole thing higher. Once it's easier to get under and move around will evaluate how much work is needed or what would be gained removing the body.

Thoughts of getting under brings up the next problem. Right now, I think it's a tossup as to whether it's going to be harder to get down on the ground, work and then get back up a lot of times or just pull the body to work on things while standing or sitting.

Posted on: 2013/4/9 9:59
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 ... 28 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved