Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
74 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 74

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Blasting gun
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ray17015
See User information
A friend of mine has loaned me his blasting cabinet, but the gun is awful. It works for 5-10 seconds, and then stops and I end up shaking it or beating it on the part to get more sand out. Any recommendations out there for a replacement?? Is a siphon type the only way to go? does anyone make a reasonable pressure feed type? I figured a blast cabinet would solve all of my problems, sadly it has not been the case......,

Posted on: 2013/4/8 12:45
 Top  Print   

Re: Blasting gun
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Dry air is key with the blasters. Do you have a water trap on your air line? All it takes is a little moisture to clog it up.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 12:46
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Also, the ceramic nozzles wear out. If they wear enough you will get a very poor result.

Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/4/8 12:49
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I know we've touched on this sand blasting subject before but don't recall if there was a consensus. I think I'm going to get a relatively inexpensive --but not cheap-- unit and have to make a choice. Believe both grit and soda have been done commercially & satisfactorily on various posters cars.

Several here have or already had grit units at home but don't recall if any have bought soda. Grit has more abrasives options but I also like the clean up aspect of soda since I won't have a cabinet. If those with experience think soda is a waste of money, would appreciate if someone could give the pros/cons. Would even appreciate a brand of either type if there is one you like. Use would be the typical paint and rust removal on parts -- no large sheetmetal items though.

The web seems to be of mixed opinion on the two medias. Strong opinion even extends to supposedly identical units made by the same mfg but sold under different names. Amazon or other web reviews don't seem to be much help on this one.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 14:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
I have a Craftsman siphon fed one that I used with regular play sand that works fine as long as you wear protection and do not let the sand get wet. Are you talking about doing parts that you will take off the car? If so, a media cabinet would be the way to go with glass beads. If you want to do the whole car, on My Classic Car they have advertised a dustless service that the guy comes to you and strips your car in a couple of hours. Don't know if that is an option in your area. I have heard "black beauty" or Aluminum Oxide is great for stripping the cars. I believe Keegan was using soda on his project. Sorry not much help but I think you would be fine with either.

Posted on: 2013/4/8 16:59
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Quote:

51Packard wrote:
I used with regular play sand

Just a reminder: using regular sand for blasting is generally a bad idea. Silicosis is a real risk.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 13:03
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Went ahead and got a soda unit from HF. Being HF, probably a big waste but it was on sale and tempting. If it lasts for one car guess it will be OK. Am thinking there is probably a need for both so am still looking at abrasive units. The Sears isn't carried locally so order only but HF had several sitting there. Anyone used their abrasive units?

Posted on: 2013/4/10 13:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I have the sears portable unit, back in the 90s it was 25 bucks..

used it on my block with Costco baking soda...its does work..

but I hear its not used, I think they use baking soda mixed with something..

thought I had picture, but the soda gave a nice color..

Posted on: 2013/4/10 16:50
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Quote:

Just a reminder: using regular sand for blasting is generally a bad idea. Silicosis is a real risk.

Note: I said with protection. I'm in the safety equipment biz so I know. It is safe with the proper respirator.

As far as Harbor Freight, I think you are fine since there is no motor involved. Hard to screw up a can with a blasting gun. As far as my Craftsman siphon fed blaster, any brand will do. Just watch the feed hose. I noticed at Harbor Freight their display model was thin and broken already. The Craftsman is thicker.

Posted on: 2013/4/10 18:41
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I have a little self-contained unit that catches (some of) the sand and recycles it back though the gun.

It is messy as hell.

I put a couple of guys in jail who were sandblasting the underside of a freeway overpass using crushed slag one time.

I was out running and it looked like black diesel smoke until it hit my eyes,(I wear contacts).

I was blind for a week.

I showed up at the county office which was one block from the TV station I worked for with a complete news crew.

They laughed at me for about a good 30 seconds and then the police and OSHA walked in and took the dude to Jail while I described the agony to the press.

I only mention this because sand blasting can be real destructive.

Jim

Posted on: 2013/4/12 15:06
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved