Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 129

37Blanche, acolds, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

PS Pulley as drive for AC Compressor?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Someone who sounds knowledgeable has told me that the easiest way to get engine power to drive an AC compressor so I can add AC to my '52 Packard 200 Deluxe, is to use a Packard power steering pulley and bracket. Since my Packard is manual steering, and I intend to leave it that way, this sounds interesting and potentially far easier and less costly than engineering a bracket and pulley for the compressor from scratch.

However, I can't find a photo of a Pakcard power steering bracket and pulley in place on a 51 to 54 Packard, so I can't picture how it would be done.

Can someone out there with a 51 to 54 Packard post a photo of the power steering pulley and bracket, mounted in place on the inline eight engine?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/6 17:03
 Top  Print   

Re: PS Pulley as drive for AC Compressor?
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I have often thought of doing it that way also. So I would be interested in seeing how that would all come together.

Perhaps this would make a good how to article!

Posted on: 2008/7/6 19:13
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
BigKev: If I can get the necessary basic info and photos, I'd bve happy to do a "how-to article", as I really MUST add AC to my car very soon.

I am already a writer - I have written dozens of technical website aticles over at www.ssrfanatics.com for owners of Chevy SSRs in the course of doing a 3 year project in which I took a stock 2004 SSR from 300 hp to 575 supercharged hp. At website members' requests, I eventually wrote a 320 page e-book called "The SSR Experience" which has sold well for a couple of years so far.

I have a '55 1st Edition (NOT 2nd Edition) Chevy pickup truck project that involves a 450 hp cammed Cadillac LQ9 LS series engine, fiberglass mono leafsprings, Flaming River steering box, etc, that I am suffering some supplier delays on, so I am focusing for a while on my '52 Packard. The Packard is my ONLY running vehilce right now, so is truly my daily driver.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/6 20:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Jim,

Sounds like your more than qualified. I look forward to seeing how the A/C project comes along!

Posted on: 2008/7/6 20:27
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Both P/S and A/C:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2008/7/6 20:38
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
One question I have is that if you have a car with power steering, does it use a double groove crank and fan pulley?

Posted on: 2008/7/6 20:47
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Most likely a triple groove, two belts for the water pump and A/C, and one for the P/S. That's the way a Packard V8 is set up, I don't see why they would have done it different on the straight eights.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 20:54
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Thank-you TurboPackman!

I am forwarding this link to my ace mechanic friend, Randy, for him to study. He and I will be working on this together!

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/6 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Tell him that an internally balanced small block Ford balancer will go right on a Packard straight eight crank and a V8. Just to let you know, but make sure you buy one that is ZERO balance, or has removable weights to make it zero balance. That part is CRITICAL!!

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Why not run just ONE belt for the AC AND power steering.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved