Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: PS Pulley as drive for AC Compressor?
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Eric. What do u mean by a 'Zero balance' ???

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Re Eric's post--On straight 8 it was 1 belt for water pump & gen off groove in damper with gen the adjustment. Extra single pulley bolted on for PS located above generator, being its own adjustment. AC had a double groove, smaller diameter drive pulley and dual idlers all located on passenger side. Comb of idlers & comp was the adj. AC belts suggested to be removed when not needed as no clutch. An interesting note is they list 3 dampers. 1 regular, 1 for PS cars, and another for AC cars so am wondering if AC & PS might be cast as one.

Finding the original AC pully will be quite a trick so if you can do Eric's Ford setup and write it up, a lot will surely appreciate.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:25
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Packard V8: I'm thinking he means that you want a Ford balancer with NO weights on it to balance the crankshaft, as the crankshaft on the Packard is internally balanced, so balancing weights on the harmonic balancer would UNbalance the engine.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
SB Ford dampeners come in 3 varieties, a 28oz imbalance, a 50oz imbalance, and one that has both weights that are removable, effectively making it 28oz, 50oz, or zero. You want the zero-capable version. Just try and put on a 28oz or 50oz on a Packard and see what happens to your engine!

Incidentally, 3.8L Ford and Buick dampeners also will fit the Packard crank, but I have no information on their balances.

When I get the 327 here and start working on it, I plan on doing the Ford setup, and will post it all here.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 22:58
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Excuse my ignorance on this. But if the Ford dampner was used, would this change anything in relation to the current pulley plane alignment with the water pump? or should the water pump pulley have to be shimed to bring it into alignment?.

Are the Packard dampners of the "zero" balance variety?

I am strill trying to wrap my mind around the PS setup. If you have a 51-54 with Power Steering, but no AC. Did the car come with a single groove dampner or a double grooved dampner?

If it was the double variety, was the waterpump pulley also a double. I guess I need to see a belt arrangement diagram. I only have my car to reference and it doesnt have PS. I will have to go look in the service manuals and see if I have find an answer when I get to my hotel tonight and get back on the net.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 19:10
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Kev, this is what I mean: Summit Balancer

Then buy something like this to bolt to it: Ford 3 groove pulley

You can even do serpentine if you want, but remember one thing, if you run the back side of the belt on the water pump, it will run backwards and hence not pump anything. Serpentine's not for everyone, you have to be careful on how you route the belts, as we've all seen modern cars with the belt running on the backside of a pulley, which makes it run backwards. Just a thought to keep in mind when you're considering a serpentine setup. Now, you don't have to use a serpentine belt, but it's an option with the Ford balancer.

And yes, to my knowledge, all Packard balancers are zero balance, as the engines are internally balanced from the factory. External balance means that the balance it with the harmonic balancer on the front and the flywheel on the rear.

Posted on: 2008/7/7 20:16
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hope someone posts better pictures. Here's 2 cars. Unfortunately, can't see damper on either very well and one car is well apart and damper looks disassembled. Sure wish I'd taken more & better shots but the AC wasn't why I was there that day.

The parts manual lists 3 dampers. 1 regular which would be l groove for fan & gen. 1 PS which would have 2 groves. As you see, the fan has a double pulley. Looking at Turbopackmans picture of the PS above, It appears it was the front belt over fan & gen and rear belt for fan & PS. I don't remember. The 3rd damper lists for AC in 54 junior cars. Wondering why separately because its the same damper as seniors--unless it's the pulley mounting holes. AC has a bolt on driving pulley on vibration damper.

Attach file:

jpg  (40.80 KB)
209_4872c3c5dc386.jpg 800X688 px

Posted on: 2008/7/7 20:32
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Ok it's starting to make more sense now.

So am I correct in assuming that if the car has PS then they are two differnt size belts used? One for the crank>fan>gen, and the other crank>fan>PS Pump?

So if that is the case then I would need to find the following parts: PS Crank dampner/pulley, double groove fan pulley, and the actual PS Pump bracket. Once I had those pieces then I could use that to mount a Sanden A/C compressor of something similar.

I wounder how hard it will be to find all those parts?

Jim, I didnt mean to co-op your thread, hopefully all these lines of questioning apply to your original question.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 10:16
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Belt size kinda depends on your compressor but believe they are same width. Shouldn't be that hard to find components because I think most 53's & 54 seniors had the PS.

The bracket may present an issue with mounting the compressor. The pump bolted on with 2-3 bolts from front & I think shaft passed thru bracket and then pulley installed. IIRC there is also a part of bracket that sort of wrapped around lower pump body. In 54 they added the extra diagonal brace across top to head as shown in Erics picture.

Not thinking the Sanden clutch will allow the passing thru bracket to happen and the brace may interfere. If you do try it, would suggest looking for 54 bracket or at least making the brace. Early brackets had problems with flexing.

Posted on: 2008/7/8 10:59
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Batjac
See User information
So, would these two work on my '52 200 Deluxe if I run just the A/C compressor and an alternator??

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D163289&N=700+4294871851+4294908331+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=MCH%2D1831&N=700+4294854657+4294908331+115&autoview=sku

Mark

Posted on: 2008/8/14 21:14
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved