Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Checking brake fluid level in master cylinder?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
I have looked in both the owner's manual and service manual for my '52 Packard 200 Deluxe, and cannot find any description of how you gain access to the master cylinder to check the brake fluid level.

Do you literally have to put the car on a hoist, or can you get to the inspection / fill cap on the master cylinder from the interior carpet area. I see no remote reservioir under the hood.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/6 21:53
 Top  Print 

Re: Checking brake fluid level in master cylinder?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it's power brakes it's lean over the fender until you just about fall in to unscrew the cap. If standard, pull back the carpet away from door and seat and there should be an inspection cover screwed on just ahead of front seat and inside jamb toward the center of car a few inches

Posted on: 2008/7/6 22:13
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
On my '54 the manual Master Cylinder is mounted on the frame rail just on the forward of the firewall (almost right under the parking brake assembly). Actually the Ultramatic shift linkage on my car connects to one of the bolts holding the Master cylinder in place. (not sure if that is only on the GearStarts)

Probably the easiest way to get to it would be from underneath. Currently I have all the front sheet metal off my car, so that makes it very easy.

Posted on: 2008/7/6 23:24
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
On my 53 with manual brakes, the master cyl is on the frame rail just in front of the firewall. I have to reach all the way down over the fender and fresh air duct to get down there. The cap unscrews with a pretty big wrench. Be careful you don't touch both contacts on the brake light switch with your wrench when opening the mc. That brake electrical circuit is hot all the time.
Happy stopping.
Tobs

Posted on: 2008/7/7 6:04
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Ok, my Packard has manual brakes, and I'm hearing from all the above that there may be two different setups: one with the master cylinder accessible from under the hood, and the other with it accessible via an inspection cover under the carpet.

I will check mine later today to see which it is, but I hope it's the underhood location, because my floor carpet appears to be fastened (glued?) down alongside the driver door! :)

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/7 7:24
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Tobs and Big Kev are correct in the master cylinder location. I have obviously gotten my cars mixed up. Apologies to any I misled.

Attach file:

jpg  (34.39 KB)
209_48722b98a0e30.jpg 590X734 px

Posted on: 2008/7/7 9:44
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Thank-you!

Note the fact that the masterclyindr material is apparently ALUMINUM. Interesting. Is that to improvew its corrosion resistance? (I know aluminum resists oxidation by AIR and WATER a lot better than steel, but brake fluid too???)

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/7 21:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved