Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 167

Tobs, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Homeland Security & state DMVs
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
I just talked to International Title Service in Las Vegas, NV on another matter, but he advised me that as of Jan 1, 2013, most of the state laws have been severely tightened up regarding getting a new title (if you didn't already have a valid one) on ANY car, even an old one (used to be pre-1972 was easy/cheap). It seems (according to him) that DHS (ain't government wonderful?) doesn't want ANYONE driving an old car anymore (remember the "cash for clunkers" debacle?). It won't be long before it will be impossible to get a legal title on a pre-1994 vehicle if you don't already have a clear and up-to-date title and this includes current plates and proof of insurance.

If you have a clear, up-to-date title on your current Packard with up-to-date insurance, then you are OK...for now. But, be aware and act accordingly.

But, if you have a Packard that you are planning to restore (even someday) and don't currently have all the required docs, you could get skruwed.

Who knows? Maybe soon you'll need a special permit and special equipment (like a tracking GPS, e.g., are you aware of pay-per-mile legislation in some states?) to drive ANY pre-1994 (soon to be pre-2000, etc...) car!

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/3 19:27
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Re: Homeland Security & state DMVs
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
We already pay per mile...unless you make your own gas.....

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:33
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
California is one of the states that was looking at the pay per mile -- I think the legislature decided to raise the gas tax this time around while they "study" the concept.

Several insurance companies are pushing hard for the pay per mile since they claim the present premium structure is unfair. Translation: the insurance commissioner turned down some rate increase requests so they want a new way around him. Some already offer optional policies with the pay per mile "feature" but I'm sure if implemented it will be just another way to raise rates.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 20:44
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
RE: title of this thread,

Not clear to me what Homeland Security has to do with this.

Posted on: 2013/5/3 21:35
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
PackardV8 Quote:
Not clear to me what Homeland Security has to do with this.

According to the guy at ITS I talked to, DHS is the gov agency that is putting the regs and pressure in place on the state DMVs to eliminate the older vehicles.

I'm only the messenger.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/5/3 23:09
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That's what happens in an economy that relentlessly displaces it's most capable people and gets stupider and stupider.

I'm sure there will be a creative way around the problem provided the car isn't stolen. I hate the DHS. They are just juvenille delinquents hired by a drunk named G.W.B..
But that is the nature of the country now and why it is in decline. In my town the cops are all grossly overweight and sit around in their cop cars all day shaking down motorists. We don't need that. Worthless.

Stockton California put everybody on minimum wage. We need to do that with the entire government and let them have a taste of what the rest of the country is going through.

As for the GPS crap - I'm sorry DHS it's already stolen.

Insurance companies are another joke. They hire people on how well they kiss the bosses butt.

Posted on: 2013/5/4 5:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Whats this, they do,,

Make you pay registration, every year,, when you transfer or buy a car etc,,you pay once,, period,

when my Packard is on the road there will not be rear exhaust,

then what ,,, oh, they will have other bs, complaints, just to make us drive what they want...

gov, brown ,,is going to get a criminal federal complaint,, from, me, main point is , car registration, what does my car have to do with ,, debt,,, its mine,,, the state is not on title,,,,

while i'm on it,,,property tax is the same...............

these epa ass's have a degree, right?,,,are they using it,?,, of coarse their degree is probably ,, political ,,

how to screw your fellow American.,,

you submit a plan to control exhaust and never here back,,,all you here is ,,things like,,,charging you per mile,,

well what about our freedom of movement,,,,none of these epa-ss's law's are Constitutional.

rik,,,,fred r turbo AMERICAN!!,,,rip jc

Posted on: 2013/5/4 14:01
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved