Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 132

Todd W. White, 53 Cavalier, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Super 8 battery
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

inews
See User information
What group or size 6 volt battery does the super 8 use? If no group what measurement will result in the correct battery? I was told today by a battery dealer here in Escondido, Ca that the Optioma batteries were not the quality they used to be and recommended not buying one. He sells optima so I see no reason for him to not sell me one.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 12:17
 Top  Print   

Re: 1939 Super 8 battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
On my 40, under-the-seat battery, I have a BCI Group 2 10 3/8 in. x 7 1/8 in. x 9 3/8 in.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 12:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

inews
See User information
Thank you I think that is the same measurements as mine.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Before I picked a Group 2, I'd first check to see if a Group 4 fits, and if so I'd get a NAPA 7212, this is a large commercial battery, 1170 cranking amps at 32 deg. F, gobs of power. I've fit these into almost all prewar senior cars with underseat batteries, 40-42 160s and 180s, 33-37 Eights and Twelves thru 1939, so I'd think it should fit your 39 Super. I'm not aware of a higher capacity battery for these applications, and at least in my experience they give very long service life, usually 6-8 years or so.

Height 9-1/2
Length 12-1/2
Width 6-7/8

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=NBE7212_0353642068

Posted on: 2013/5/6 13:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Inews, the above uber knowledgeable gents are correct on all scores, tho' my first suggestion is to give Optima a chance. The one i have is over eight years old and still as good as ever. The 1912 Swedish company, with modern plant in Colorado, was bought by a Mexican concern a coupla years ago, and Optima's former seven year pro-rated warranty (first two years free replacement) has, i've heard, been downed to three years total.

But I'd still give Optima a whirl and again, weight is the enemy in any road car.

If wet cell, Group II was original equipment for both One-Twenty and '39 Super 8. However, as your '39 Super is junior based, you should be able to just shoehorn a Group IV, which was original equipment in the Packard Twelve, in your underseat battery box as i did just that with my '40 120 decades ago.

To play safe, i pop riveted a thin piece of aircraft plywood (anything'll do) on the underside of the floor cover
to prevent impromptu arc welding.

But give Optima a chance. The dealer who told you the above likely also has a vast inventory of funky wet cell batteries he wants to unload.

Posted on: 2013/5/6 15:09
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved