Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (137 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 230

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

6 cyl. engine build questions
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mendocino38
See User information
Good Morning,

When I bought my '38 Six, it came in boxes. The engine especially. All of the machining had been done and the nuts, bolts, gaskets, etc were in cans and boxes. I've been sorting things out and I am now putting it together. My manual doesn't cover some of the minor details. For example: I'm not clear on how to install the front main seal. Another question is proper installation of the cam shaft...I see there is a bronze spacer/flange that bolts to the front of the engine block. Do I just snug the nut up to the timing gear and that's it? Does that properly locate the camshaft in the block? If so, how much do I torque that nut and should I put loc-tite on it?

If someone has answers or can direct me to a good source for the answers, that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Erik

Posted on: 2013/5/10 8:46
 Top  Print   

Re: 6 cyl. engine build questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
Welcome to the Packard ownership world. I cannot help you with your questions, but a certain Aussie is going to ask you include your car in the Owner's Registry. So, go ahead, include it. Just go here.

Good luck on your project.
Cheers,

Tom

Posted on: 2013/5/10 13:09
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Tom,

I've already HIT Erik with that request here!
And for thinking about the Registry!

Erik,

If you can wait a couple of weeks, the workshop I haunt is waiting for a '39 120 engine to come back from the machine shop. Same setup as the 6 so when it goes together I can advise then, probably with pic's too.

Posted on: 2013/5/10 16:30
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The front seal for the crankshaft has a cork insert in a spring loaded metal housing. It is installed after the timing chain and gears are installed and is slid into place on the front of the crankshaft with the cork insert facing out. The vibration damper pulley on the crankshaft holds it in place after the timing cover has been installed.

The 1935-41 parts list has a cross section illustration that shows the camshaft assembly but it is a bit hard to follow. There is an exploded view on Illustration Plate No. 89 in the 1948-54 parts list that shows the assembly sequence more clearly.

The camshaft is held in place by the odd shaped flange that bolts to the front of the block.

There is a lock plate under the camshaft nut, so loctite is not needed.
Torque for the camshaft nut is 140 to 160 ft. lb. (from the 1946-50 service manual)

Posted on: 2013/5/10 19:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mendocino38
See User information
Thanks for the good info.

I'll get my car on the registry soon. Been busy with work and too much fun tinkering with the Packard.

About the front main seal: my gasket kit comes with a felt ring that looks suspiciously like it is part of the front main seal?? Not sure where it goes. From memory it looks approx. 2 1/4 inches in dia. and roughly 1/4 thick. Anyone know that one?

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. In hind sight they seem obvious, but until you know...you don't.

many thanks, Erik

Posted on: 2013/5/10 21:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

mendocino38 wrote:
About the front main seal: my gasket kit comes with a felt ring that looks suspiciously like it is part of the front main seal?? Not sure where it goes. From memory it looks approx. 2 1/4 inches in dia. and roughly 1/4 thick. Anyone know that one?
many thanks, Erik

Here's a photo of a used front seal. Any that I have ever seen had a cork insert like the one pictured.
Outside diameter of the cork is 2-1/2" and it is about 1/4" thick.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.90 KB)
1137_518db7ae434c6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (62.31 KB)
1137_518db7bcdc480.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2013/5/10 22:15
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

mendocino38
See User information
Yep, I have one of those...the new kit came with a replacement cork, but I also have a felt ring. My guess is that the gasket kit is for multiple years and other years use this felt in some way. Unless it goes on the harmonic balancer in some way.

Posted on: 2013/5/11 8:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved