Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 216

dallas, Bob J, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1938 Shutters Rebuild
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
I am disassembling my shutters so I can re-chrome the slats. I have removed the slat assembly, and I am drilling out the rivets. Anyone have suggestions as to the best way to do this. I don't want to bend any tabs on the individual slats.

Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (138.70 KB)
3557_51997a46ed322.jpg 1216X912 px

Posted on: 2013/5/19 20:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1938 Shutters Rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Jim

Check the paragraph on GRILLE on Posts# 87 and 88 on the following Duchess Project link:

The plater was happy to take them apart.

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=5878&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=80

Joe

Posted on: 2013/5/19 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Jim:

First use a dremel or engraver to keep them in order. And make up a written record.

Next buy good quality bits and cutting oil from McMaster-Carr or MSC. The oil will make your life alot easier.

Also keep the shutter rods in order as well.

You don't want to bend anything because the steel will become more brittle after plating.

Posted on: 2013/5/19 23:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jim Mayfield
See User information
Thanks for the suggestions! I had already thought about the engraver. I bought one just last week. I am making sketches and taking photos as I take things apart. Making sketches forces me to pay attention to small details, like which way a bend in a part points.

Thanks for answering the question I hadn't asked yet about the HT-178 Hand Rivet Clincher.

The pins on the ends (on one end) of the blades slip into holes in four curved assemblies (they may be called "bearing assemblies"). There is what looks like pressed paper inside metal channels. The holes are drilled in the pressed paper. Right or wrong, I removed the paper from one of those channels. Can I still buy that paper, or is there a substitute, like telfon block, that I could use? Thanks

Posted on: 2013/5/20 10:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved