Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 219

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Fuel Line replacement questions
Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
Last summer my 50 Eight suffered from major vapor lock and I discovered a few pin holes in the metal fuel line along the frame just under the drivers door. I cut the metal fuel line after the holes and replaced that section with rubber line. My question is this a good idea? I just got my fuel tank back from the radiator repair shop where they cleaned and lined the tank (it was very dirty). Should I leave the rubber fuel line, or should I replace it with new metal line?

Posted on: 2013/5/24 9:17
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Line replacement questions
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
My two cents says replace it. Aside from not knowing how nicely the rubber will play every time they change or add something in the gas, I'd be concerned with it low and exposed in that location it could be vulnerable to any unexpected nasty road conditions or debris.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 9:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Probably not high priority issue but i would definately make somekind of plan to replace the entire line with steel over the next 12 months. Much Sooner if alot of long distance touring is in the plans.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 9:37
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With a couple of pin holes already discovered, the integrity of the balance of the line is pretty questionable so I'd consider the rubber hose repair to be temporary at best.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 9:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Robert Freeman
See User information
I had a feeling that was going to be the response. I have got the metal line, flare tool, line bender, and fittings. Back under the car I go, at least this job doesn't involve going under the dash

Posted on: 2013/5/24 9:52
Bob

IF EVERYTHING IS COMING YOUR WAY ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
YOU'RE IN THE WRONG LANE!

'56 Executive Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Since you can buy the newer cupro-nickel line and it is so easy to work with, I would never use steel, even stainless, again. It is available for brake line or fuel line.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 12:18
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My fuel tank had a bad bung fitting on it so I never could get a good seal on a steel line. Also with the electric priming pump and fuel filter back near the tank, I went and changed it up a little bit.

So I installed a hose barb fitting on the take with a little teflon tape to make it seal, and then there is an 18" run of fuel injection hose from there up to the hose barb on the fuel filter located in frame rail channel. Then it runs right into the fuel pump, and then into the the metal cupro line that runs all the way up to the mechanical pump on the engine following the same route as the original one it replaced.

So basically a flex line of modern fuel resistant heavy duty injection hose between the take and the frame rail mounted fuel filter. This made it a lot easy to clean out the fuel filter when I was having tank debris issues at one time.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 12:27
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

bhappy wrote:
I had a feeling that was going to be the response. I have got the metal line, flare tool, line bender, and fittings. Back under the car I go, at least this job doesn't involve going under the dash

Not sure what is worse--working under the dash or getting the tubing snaked under the A arm and radiator. Both are a pain.

Quote:

randy berger wrote:
Since you can buy the newer cupro-nickel line and it is so easy to work with, I would never use steel, even stainless, again. It is available for brake line or fuel line.

A second on the softer line. I ordered Cunifer for the 47 gas line. The brake will be stainless as that is all Kanter sells in premade. Hopefully the bends will be decent and without anything in the way, it will go in without too much trouble. Now if they would just get here.

I hope you have more finesse or better technique than I when you do your line. My double flares on steel originally done for the 56 plain sucked. Most all I did was removed and premade lengths from the parts store went in their place when I did the recent brake master playing around -- hence the reason for the premade and the Cunifer on the 47. I'd also wonder if you can get steel to do the bends up front neatly without removing a bunch of things or doing it in a couple of pieces.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 12:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
I had to do my line in two pieces as there was no way I could maneuver the line through all the twist and turns it had to make with the body on the car. Same goes with the brake line.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 13:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Do yourself a favor and replace the flex line to the fuel pump too, repros are available from Minnesota Packards IIRC.

Posted on: 2013/5/24 13:05
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved