Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
83 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 83

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

replacement radiator?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
Today the radiator on my '52 Packard 200 Deluxe sprung a leak. I came out of an offcie supply store to find a small puddle underneath, and a visible streaming leak from the lower edge of the TOP tank on the radiator.

My friend Randy and I will pull the radiator sometime in the next day or two, and Rady being a pro mechanic knows where to take it for repair.

But, I figure just in case the rad shop finds it's worse than we think, or maybe just because I am planning to add air conditioning really soon and the original rad has not been impressive even withOUT the AC, maybe I should be ready to look at a replacement versus a repair?

Has anyone done a replacement, and if so, where did you get a NEW (not rebuilt) radiator, and what did you have to pay for it?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/11 15:38
 Top  Print 

Re: replacement radiator?
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
If the tanks of your radiator are OK, your shop should be able to re-core it. I know it will not be strictly original but, they should be able to provide more surface area to cool your car.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 17:12
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
I used a slightly modified Ford pickup radiator in my '56, brand new and only $125. I'm sure a good parts store can find a suitable replacement if you're not too worried about originality.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 20:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
I am not at ALL worried about originality! (Future postings will make that clearer :) ). I intend to keep the spirit of the Packard, but want to improve reliability where it is practical to do so.

I'd really like a LOT more cooling capacity,as (a) I live in Texas where the daily highs most days recently have been 100, and (b) I intend to add air conditioning, which will put a condenser in front of the radiator to further impede its effectiveness.

Randy also suggested strongly we think about how we could easily find or fabricate a shroud.

I DO know a really good parts man. I will call him.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/11 20:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I don't know the 52 architecture that well. But if there is a location that gets air flow other than in front of the radiator, I'd probably take guidance from the new car designs and locate it there. I hope there is such a place. good luck.

Posted on: 2008/7/11 21:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Jim, here's a little secret for the straight eights: If you need the water pump outlet on the other side of the engine, get a '50 and earlier water pump, they're the opposite outlet than the '51-'54.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 0:12
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Dont you mean the water pump inlet?

The water outlet is on the top of the head.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 1:31
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Yes, inlet. My bad!

How about lower radiator hose nipple? I just wanted to use the word "nipple"!

Posted on: 2008/7/12 1:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
TurboPackman: The '50 water pump is a straight interchangable part on my '52?

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/12 9:09
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
49Packard: I am not proposing moving the radiator. I AM asking if there is a BETTER radiator that will fit in the same spot. For example, thicker core with more total surface area exposed to airflow.

I HAVE taken steps already, related to an appearance customizing project, that have actually lowered the temperature displayed on the water temperature gauge at 60 mph in 100 degree weather. Details will be forthcoming soon . . .

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/12 9:13
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved