Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
155 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 153

dallas, tabletennissport, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: replacement radiator?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
TurboPackman: The '50 water pump is a straight interchangable part on my '52?

Jim G

Depending on the radiator used, yes. It will bolt directly up to the '51 and up block if that's what you mean. But like I say, the hose fitting is on the opposite site as compared to later engines. At least it was on my '48 288. The '48-'50 (and possibly earlier) have the lower hose on the passenger's side of the engine, whereas the '51-'56 have the lower hose on the driver's side of the engine.

Interesting tidbit: You can put a later model '51-'54 straight eight in the '50 and back chassis, but you can't go the other way. The '50 and back engines did not have provisions for the side motor mounts, and mounted at the front of the engine. I personally prefer the side mounts, as it balances the weight of the engine better. When I removed the trans from my '53 Clipper parts car, I left the engine in it. I figured it would slam back into the firewall, but nope, it didn't. It's balanced pretty well.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 11:48
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Eric the inlet on my '54 points towards the passenger side (see pic). Are you thinking of the 55/56 units?

Attach file:

jpg  (58.14 KB)
1_4878e6bb7a19a.jpg 600X800 px

Posted on: 2008/7/12 12:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Interesting, I could have sworn that the '48-'50's were opposite the '51 and up engines. I do remember some differences between the water pumps, as I put the timing cover plate and front motor mount from my '48 engine on a '51 288 that I had. I could have sworn that the pumps had opposite hose nipples. But from all the pics I could find on the internet, it appears that I apparently need to go back and fill up my crack pipe!

Posted on: 2008/7/12 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
I was suggesting that you find an alternate location for the air conditioning condenser. I realize moving the radiator is impractical. However, not having the air conditioning cooler in front of the radiator will reduce the load on the radiator.
Good luck with the radiator change.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 20:50
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Not for the purist, but I would think the besides a good core, the best thing you could add to an old car that you are planning to put a modern A/C system into, would be an electic radiator fan. Most overheating is going to come when the car is sitting stop and go traffic, or idle at a stop light. With an engine driven fan, the speed is relative to engine RPM. That is were an electic fan really works the best because it comes on relative to engine temp, and is not governed by engine RPM. Also most electric fan controllers usually have an A/C trigger also so they come on when the A/C is running. A good electic fan with a proper shroud, and a good condition radiator will go along way to keep things cool.

I am going to run the engine driven fan when I first get my car going. But when I make the move later to A/C, then I will switch to an electic puller fan, and remove engine driven fan.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 21:12
-BigKev

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Classic Auto Air has what they call the Power Condenser. Fan, different sizes, appears to mount horizontal, vertical or in between--not necessarily in front of radiator. Not sure where else it could go on a Packard unless flat in front of radiator with lower splasher removed.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 21:35
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Kevin. can u flop a tape measure down on that cylinder head and tell me how long it is from front to rear. +or- an inch is close enuf for my calculations.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 22:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
A late-model Packard straight eight is 44" from the rear of the head to the tip of the water pump, give or take an inch.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 23:21
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks Eric. But i need the length of the cylinder HEAD only.

Posted on: 2008/7/12 23:36
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The head length on my '54 327 with a 288 head is about a hair over 34 1/2 inches. The picture is dark as I just ran out there and snapped this pic, and with the garage door open, it blocks the light in the part of the garage.

Attach file:

jpg  (14.00 KB)
1_4879919bc4b01.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2008/7/13 0:24
-BigKev

Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved