Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 111

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Difference or Similarities between a 282 and 288 and how to repair a leaky pan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

fogfather
See User information
Does anyone know if a pan from a 282 will fit a 288 engine? I have just bought a 1940 club sedan and found that the serial number is N then numbers which according to my charts of motor number the letter m was the last straight 8 made in 1954. The pan on this motor is rusted through in many pinhole places but I have a pan off a 37 120. Does anyone know any techniques for filling the holes. I am afraid to braize or weld the pan. Is there any kind of sealant. Also what is interchangeable between a 282 and a 288. thanks for the help

Posted on: 2013/5/31 21:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Difference or Similarities between a 282 and 288 and how to repair a leaky pan
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'd suggest that you take the pan to a local radiator shop and let them take care of the repairs. I've never heard of any sealant that would hold up under oil and high temps.

Posted on: 2013/5/31 21:50
 Top  Print   

Re: Difference or Similarities between a 282 and 288 and how to repair a leaky pan
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

fogfather
See User information
thanks that is a great idea

Posted on: 2013/5/31 22:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Fogfather

The 282 and the 288 have different bore centers, so they are really different engines

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2013/5/31 22:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

fogfather
See User information
Thanks for your info. Does that mean that the pan is the same size?
What about other accessories like the starter, carb, head, ect?
If it is just the difference in the bore is the block the same size ?

Posted on: 2013/6/1 9:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Dear Fog:

If the pan is so bad that it can't be sand blasted and soldered then use West Systems G-Flex.

You won't be dissappointed.

As far as interchangibility, I'm sure the part numbers are different so you would have to place them side by side.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
JHH in post #4 above says that the bore CENTERS are different between the 2 engines. I assume that to mean that the distance between the cylinders is differetn. That should mean that things like head,crank, cam would not interchange. It most likely means that one block is longer than the other and therfore the pans are not I'changeable either.

However, there could be a remote possibility that pans will I'change. Easiest thing to do is to compare the bolt spacing of the pans. Just pick a few bolts and measure the distance between them.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 14:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IF it turns out that the spare pan WILL fit then u have to watch for oil pump screen and crank couterweight clearence.

As for various epoxies of ANY kind be careful on price. If u can buy a good pan for anything under $100 i would do that before epoxy (unless only a very small dab of epoxy is needed).

I have a situation here with cracked block. Thus far i've smeared about $50 worth of epoxy and it still leaks. The epoxy works just fine but a the crack is much further than is detectible upon reasonable close inspection short of magnaflux.

Botom line:
My block is really too far gone to save. Your pan mite very well be the same status.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 14:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Do the vendors list different pan gaskets for the 282 and 288/327 engines? Take the pan to someone who welds and have them braze the holes closed if the bottom is not too far gone from rust. Good luck.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/1 15:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Does anyone know if a pan from a 282 will fit a 288 engine?

Won't fit.

Posted on: 2013/6/1 16:39
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved