Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 139

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 55/56 body mounts/pads
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
BDeB,

Excellent documentation! I was just starting on a frame off on my 1956 Panther (nee Clipper) and this is exactly what I need.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/4 18:34
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Hank ..... You have any photos of the body being lifted from the frame?

Posted on: 2013/6/4 18:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
The first time I took the body off
It was human power. 6 grown men to do it. Wasn't too bad, but wasn't light by any means.

Don't believe I have pics of that.

The last time I put it back on the frame I used my cherry picker. I wrapped a tow rope around the body, through the door openings, and hooked it to a load balancer inside the car body itself. Then lifted with the picker and kept the body level with the load balancer. Was a bit harder this way... Trying to keep it balanced and from swaying in the air.

I'm not sure if I took pics of the cherry picker method..pretty sure not.. Ill have to look a bit.

Cherry picker is how I plan to lift to clean up the undercarriage part of the body and to put on the new pads ill be ordering soon.
Hank

Posted on: 2013/6/4 19:12
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Excellent drawings! I just finished trying to take mine apart to help Hank out. Here are my pics. I think your drawings are a lot more help!

The ones I took pictures of are the one in the trunk and the other is the driver's side front mid door where the bolt comes in from the bottom into the brace.

Hank, are you going to wire wheel or otherwise de-rust the bottom of the car before putting it on the frame? Now would be a great time to do it, or at least areas that will be covered with the frame, trans, etc. Put some POR-15 or whatever undercoating you want and you probably won't need to remove the body again.

Attach file:

jpg  (129.79 KB)
508_51ae8a1eb458f.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (49.52 KB)
508_51ae8a28cc225.jpg 721X1280 px

jpg  (115.96 KB)
508_51ae8a32be51c.jpg 721X1280 px

Posted on: 2013/6/4 19:45
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I plan on doing some cleaning underneath once I get it back in the air. The center of the body is pretty much caked in dirt and grease, but the outside near the rockers there is surface rust. I will scrub that off and spray some rust converte. I also plan on taking up the loose material inside the car and recoating in herculiner or equivalent. Maybe even that same stuff under the car. It protects off road vehicles, so why not the bottom of the Packard.

Thanks so much for all your hard work getting those pics from your car! But your right its hard to top this drawing from BDeB

Posted on: 2013/6/4 20:13
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
No problem...They had to come off anyway!

Posted on: 2013/6/4 20:58
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
BdeB, thanks for the drawings! They are also useful for most of The body mounts on my 53 Clipper!
Good documentation

Posted on: 2013/6/7 7:13
1953 Clipper Delux Club Sedan, 1969 912, 1990 Miata, 2009 Ford S-Max.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I was wondering about the rubber washers on the bolts. The ones in the photos looked pretty dried out and/or cracked. Have you been able to locate new washers that will fit these OK?

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:47
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stephen Houseknecht
See User information
[quote]
cli55er wrote:
I plan on doing some cleaning underneath once I get it back in the air. The center of the body is pretty much caked in dirt and grease, but the outside near the rockers there is surface rust. I will scrub that off and spray some rust converte. I also plan on taking up the loose material inside the car and recoating in herculiner or equivalent. Maybe even that same stuff under the car. It protects off road vehicles, so why not the bottom of the Packard.

Hank,

This is where I would use the lindseed oil. It will soak into the metal and stop the rust. This the plan for my car, get it up and paint the underside with lindseed oil. That will hold it until I can get started on it.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 8:51
Stephen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Stephen,

I wonder if Rust-oleum uses lindseed oil? in their paint.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 9:54
Riki
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved