Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
244 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 242

Ross, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1942 Roof Antenna
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Greetings, I am in search for a replacement for the roof mounted antenna on my 42 160. I am in need of the mast,and all the parts,Knob and hardware, except the connection wire. I have called a number of Packard suppliers with no luck, Any assistance would be helpful.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 16:50
 Top  Print   

Re: 1942 Roof Antenna
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, I wish you the best of luck with your parts search. Even 10-15 years ago that would have been a very difficult item to find in good condition. If you could even find one in poor condition requiring pot metal repair, plating, remasting, repro plastic, etc. I'd jump at it.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 17:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The last one I saw was from Tucson Packard via their web store. It was "refurbished" and IIRC, around $800. No rotary's are available on their ebay store at the moment. IIRC from another discussion only Packards version fits properly. Someone else had tried a GM or maybe it was Hudson version and it was not satisfactory. Don't remember the details of what was different.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 17:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Both the Buick and Hudson versions look at first glance to be the same as Packard, but they don't interchange.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 17:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello John:

If the rotary roof antenna is as expensive as HH56 says, then you may want to consider replacing it with the cowl mounted variety. American Arrow of Clawson, MI reproduces the 1941-42 spear-shaped base and Yesterday's Radio of Ohio reproduces the plastic base that the mounting spear sits on. Just remember the 1940 base is different from the 1941-42 style.

Then you buy a replacement antenna mast with cable at any good car radio shop and mount the mast to the base.

But, then there is the cost to metal finish the top and repaint.

Posted on: 2013/6/6 22:21
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The national Packard meet in Pontiac, Michigan is being held from 23 June thru 28 June. The swap meet is sold out with vendors coming from all over. It would be a good chance to look for an antenna.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 6:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Thanks for the tip.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 12:49
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
JohnLaw,

Maybe I missed it but I wanted to know you like the car and in what condition was it in? Hopefully no surprises. What is your plan of attack for fixing the car up.

The top mount antenna is a real bear to find. I gave up and went to a mast mount as suggested earlier.

Keep us posted.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 12:57
Rob Troxel
1941 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Well the Packard was restored in 81 and had not been driven much. In 81 it was striped and painted in "lacquer" black and I do not believe it had been polished as the paint was dull. Another Deputy who is very knowledgeable in detailing cars and paint, came over and spent 4+ hrs with a special 2 wheel polishing machine and the paint is like a mirror. He said that one must be very light and careful with lacquer paint and he was. There is a short some where as the battery has a draw when the key is off, the clock is unhooked, so I must tackle that. The underside is cleaned and painted as well, the motor and trans after dusting off look as new as do all the hoses and brake lines. The tires are new from 81 and look great but are still from 81 and I am not sure as to keep them or replace them, so any advice would be welcome. The antifreeze will be drained this weekend and well as the block, and new installed. A through lube and greasing will follow as I want to loosen up the shifting levers,as I read a topic on here about greasing the shift levers. So any other input would help. and Thanks for taking interest in my Packard. I am new at this.PS I have 4 extra side chrome pieces that are used to unlatch the hood in very nice condition they are about 2 ft long, any Idea what I should do with them? Under the rear seat was a blue price book from 1942 with the prices of any options and another book for the salesman on ordering a new Packard, they are old but look as new.

Posted on: 2013/6/7 13:56
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

robtroxel
See User information
You seem well one the way! Glad you are building off a restoration in which you can get the paint gloss back! If the tires are from 81, (check the date code) I believe you should go ahead and replace them since dry rot is surely prevalent. The tire may look good but the tread can separate almost at any time. I' sure other can give you further insight on this. Would be a good time to put on those wide whitewalls.

If you have extra hood latches, they are worth keeping since the drivers side is very difficult to find! No sure if they are the same for the 41 but bet they are. That said I'd be happy to do a deal on one of the right side latches with you. robtroxel@gmail.com The shift levers are a real source of frustration and hopefully they were replaced during the restoration. These do pop up on Ebay too from time to time. I carry a 2x4 to aid in unsticking the linkage when on the road. Once again there might be better advice from other members.

Take some pictures. We don't see many 42s .

Regards,

Posted on: 2013/6/7 14:18
Rob Troxel
1941 Packard 110 Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved