Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
145 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 145

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Rear end with Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Peter, wouldn't two revolutions give you double the ratio? I've only done it with one, and got an exact reading every time.

Posted on: 2008/7/14 3:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JimGnitecki
See User information
I think Peter is using 2 revolutions versus 1 simply so that the driveshaft revs are 7 or 8 versus 3.54 or 4.1, making it a bit easier to get an accurate count.

Jim G

Posted on: 2008/7/14 6:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
Hi guys, Two revs are required if one wheel is up because on the road, in a straight line with no friction issues, the tailshaft has to turn both wheels at the same time, that is, with a 3.54 ratio, the tailshaft has to turn 3.54 turns to turn both rear wheels once. If you jack one wheel up you have to turn the one wheel twice to turn the tailshaft over the equivalent. The spider gears in the carrier are geared one to one with the axles. I suppose with one wheel up you are turning a 90 degree corner. Try it, it works and it only takes a few minutes. Best regards Peter Toet

Posted on: 2008/7/14 6:45
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Yes, a differential divides by two with one wheel on the ground.

Posted on: 2008/7/14 20:16
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved