Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
50 user(s) are online (38 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 50

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Re: 1955-56 V-8 headers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Let the ride decide Quote:
I see part of the steering column for a 56, how would it be different for a 55?

I believe that the headers can be installed from below, so there is no issue with any part of the steering. In other words, the steering would stay in place. The exhaust manifolds, starter/solenoid and head pipes would be removed for installation, but not the steering.

Quote:
I assume this is all one piece, how do you put one on with everything bolted together? Is there any weight/stress issues, if one piece, vrs stock system?

For ease of installation, each side will probably be two sections connected with a flange connector probably right behind the engine where the 3 pipes come together.

The headers are not going to weigh much more than the cast iron exhaust manifolds, so there should be no weight/stress issues.

Quote:
Not being informed on such things, what does this do for the engine? What do you do to the rest of the exhaust system?

The only real downside is that you will lose the thermocoil valve between the driver side exhaust manifold outlet and its head pipe. Except in Winter, if you even drive your Packard then, cold start up will take longer to warm the intake manifold without this valve. This is a normal deal when using headers. Initial start when cold will not be affected as this is mostly determined by the carb choke.

The upside for the engine is one of efficiency on the exhaust cycle as it is with any improved exhaust system. This translates to more torque and HP and maybe even a little better gas mileage. Full throttle peak power should go up at least 25HP.

You could use the existing dual exhaust system, if so equipped (most are). Upgrading to high performance mufflers will add even more efficiency (power). That's up to you.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/18 14:55
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
cli55er Quote:
I wonder if the headers will go with my cam...have no clue, but i had no clue if the valve springs i picked would work right...and they did. (Craig, i can supply cam specifications and spring specs if needed.)

Hank, PM me with the cam specs and I'll put it through my engine simulation software filtered by my experience.

Quote:
wondering how well the starter will do without a heat shield.

I've seen header installs with and without a starter heat shield. Under normal driving conditions, the exhaust is not that hot. Under load, it is hot, of course. FWIW, I'm not going to put a heat shield on my Panther.

If the starter gives you problems when hot, then by all means try a heat shield first thing.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/18 15:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i didn't plan on using the coil valve anyways.

PM sent with specs, if you need any more info then that on the CAM i'll have to get Jack involved.

i personally plan to go with some hi-po mufflers, like magnaflow.

Hank

Posted on: 2013/6/18 16:34
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1955-56 V-8 headers Mockup
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
HH56Quote:
How are you addressing the gearshift linkage on the frame side. Looks a bit close in that area from what I can see & was one of the things I ran into messing with my brake version.

Howard,

After viewing and measuring the gearshift linkage my 55 Pat, I don't think the headers will interfere. But, I'll have to change the routing a little in that area. I'm going to wait until I do the metal prototype. Since the pipes and collector are smaller than the mockup, it'll help the situation. I'll also mockup the linkage and cross-shaft to make sure. Thanks for pointing this out.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/19 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Good progress on the mockup of the Passenger side the last two days, although the #2 cylinder outlet was a bit of challenge. I'll post digipix of the finished mockup probably tomorrow.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/22 13:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Didn't quite get the P-side header mockup completed today.

I had a female friend roar up in her Yamaha V-Twin in her leathers which kind of distracted us on the last part of our work. Oh yeah, she's also a big rig truck driver after being an engineer before. She also helped out on my 1963 Tempest Ram Air III and my 1979 Trans Am W72/WS6 4-speed. So one can understand why we didn't quite get everything done.

We had to knock down a couple of shots too, so that even further delayed getting stuff done. LOL!

Maybe tomorrow.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/23 15:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
As promised, the completed mockup of the passenger side headers.

Clearance between motor mount and #2 pipe:
Resized Image

Clearance between upper rear A-arm and #2 pipe:
Resized Image

Clearance between road draft tube and #8 pipe:
Resized Image

Completed passenger side view:
Resized Image

Completed passenger side rear view from left:
Resized Image

When comparing the driver side with the passenger side, notice that the #1 tube is routed above #3/#5 outlet in order to clear the steering gear box. The #2 tube is routed under #4/#6 outlet in order to clear the generator. The #8 tube was also a challenge in clearing the road draft tube.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/24 10:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
couple things of notice.

the draft tube isn't secured to side of where the bell housing connects.

also i don't see trans cooler lines mounted.

Hank

Posted on: 2013/6/24 10:55
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
cli55er Quote:
couple things of notice.

the draft tube isn't secured to side of where the bell housing connects.

also i don't see trans cooler lines mounted.

I believe that the road draft tube is very close to the correct position. A good point on the trans cooler lines, but I don't have a spare T-U to mount in the mockup chassis. A closer check on both will have to wait until the metal prototype is done and fitment on my 55 Clipper Super, which is complete and stock. I've decided to use the Clipper rather than my 55 Pat, which as you know has some modifications. My 56 400 does not have a road draft tube because it was removed in 1964(?) to fit a PCV system for California smog compliance.

Craig

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
is the tang on the draft tube connected to the bolt on the engine? if so i stand corrected, but i believe it should be closer to the motor. i'll have to look at mine again.

the trans cooler lines....man those will be a tough one with the way the pipes are going. might have to reroute the cooler lines.

Hank

Posted on: 2013/6/24 11:54
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved