Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
208 user(s) are online (124 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 207

DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Do you think this Packard's condition reflects 143,000 miles?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dan
See User information
I don't doubt that a Packard can accumulate this many miles. But looking at the photos, do you think it might actually have fewer miles?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1935-Packard-120-Model-4-Door-Sedan-/151061987209?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item232bfeff89#ht_1501wt_730

And isn't the price a bit high?

Posted on: 2013/6/13 10:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Do you think this Packard's condition reflects 143,000 miles?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I found that car interesting and took a good long look at it this AM. A club sedan at that! 1935 120s are uncommon enough with only 24,995 made and very few survivors, and I doubt 7 or 8% of that were club sedans. But it certainly doesn't seem to have benefited from much proper and loving care over it's lifetime, for example the sheet metal in the trunk and rear tire stowage area looked pretty battered. Lots of aluminum paint over chromium plating, looks like a sealed beam headlight conversion, and a very neglected-looking engine compartment. But even so, given the rarity I don't think the price is the least bit unrealistic - question is who is going to invest in a proper restoration, even a budget one, on a 4-door closed car? You'll be in over your head (if that matters to you, it doesn't to everyone) in no time and perhaps when done have a vehicle worth perhaps $25,000, +/-.

PS - a check of the PAC directory shows only 4 surviving 1935 "120" club sedans and less than 20 surviving 1935 "120" cars in all body styles.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 10:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think the mileage could be accurate. My 56 had around 135000 when I got it. It was showing wear in spots but generally quite presentable. One thing most articles say to look for in judging mileage is a worn brake pedal and that one looks worn.

The price doesn't look outrageous to me. Others seem to be asking a lot more for less car but then I don't know prices very well either.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 10:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
One thing most articles say to look for in judging mileage is a worn brake pedal and that one looks worn

And they are not even the original set of pedal pads but a later replacement.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I'm not a ebay member so it won't show me what the "buy it now" price is. Can anybody tell me what that is?

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:13
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

BDC wrote:
I'm not a ebay member so it won't show me what the "buy it now" price is. Can anybody tell me what that is?

$8,750.00 as of 9:45 AM PDT

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Might be the seller is just making a guesstimate. The odometer shows a mileage that seems way too low for the year and condition of the 120, and just added on 100,000 miles. Did not see anything where there is documentation to verify the stated mileage. An over estimation to be on the safe side? Otherwise, a decent looking rare Packard, and the new owner can do little or much to enjoy it.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/6/13 12:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I found an extremely brittle service receipt from April 1962 from a shop in Albuquerque among the records that I received when I bought my Clipper a year ago. The receipt lists the mileage at about 65,000. The car had about 72,000 when I took ownership and now has 74,000 and change. Taking into account that it was restored starting in 1982, that would indicate that whoever drove the car from April 1962 until June 2012 put only 7,000 miles on the car!

The club sedan, which is 20 years older than my Clipper, likely has a lot more than 43,000 miles, just as it is possible that my Clipper could well have had a lot higher mileage than shows on the odometer. I know that folks sometimes rolled back mileage or disconnected the odometer on cars in the past, so unless anyone knows a fool-proof way to determine whether a) the odometer was never disconnected or b) it might have been rolled back at some time; then my point is, there is probably no way to say with 100 percent certainty what the true mileage of this or many other antique cars.

Besides, if a car is totally restored, actual mileage is really not that big a deal.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 18:11
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (32.66 KB)
1067_51ba5f4a523de.jpg 684X388 px

Posted on: 2013/6/13 19:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
There is a beautiful example of a 1935 Packard 120 in the Library Gallery.

I have a line on another such one in the area that I'm currently investigating. They are interesting automobiles.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 10:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved