Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exhaust manifold colour
Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi, does anyone know the correct colour to paint the exhaust manifold on a 1934 1103
Thanks
T

Posted on: 2013/6/15 5:59
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust manifold colour
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
They weren't painted, they were ceramic-coated with a deep blue-black, nearly pure black porcelain, same as the intake manifold.

How'd you make out with solving your water-loss problem you had on the Belgian tour?

Is your email working? I've sent you several emails recently, no responses.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 7:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Don't be too impulsive about trying to reporcelainize the manifold. If the car has a lot of miles on it the cast iron may crack like a spider web. There are a couple of firms in the USA that have a lot of experience.

After 1932 the stuff didn't last nearly as long.

There is another option and that is high temperature powder coat. It's not as shiny and smooth, but there is no risk of cracking.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 9:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
A long pondered question:

Given the money Packard spent on oft unseen quality, needle
and roller bearings where Cadillac and others used plain bushings, wonder if East Grand left the 1940-50 356's exhaust manifold raw simply as it'd better dissipate heat?

Concurrent Cadillac 346 V-8's exhaust manifold was porcenalized. Looks nice, but retains heat, the last thing you want on an already hot manifold.

Or was Packard trying to save another few cents per car. Or both?

As always, i bow to and welcome any of y'all's insight.

Tho' this may not help the poster, on my '47 Super, i brushed on a thin coating of Eastwood silver gray exhaust manifold paint, and on the entire exhaust pipe to the muffler, which imparts enough of a "finished" look for me
and i figure doesn't inhibit too much heat radiation.

BTW, TraumaJag-ue-were, Eastwood offers other colors, if you decide to go that route. Jaguar, an outright performance car, was still porcenalizing their exhaust manifolds in the '60s, despite Bill Lyons famously building to a price, once admitting, i think when he was still on Coventry's board,

"We could never get our XK-series quality near Porsche levels."

So, i remain puzzled.

?

Posted on: 2013/6/15 14:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Terry Cantelo
See User information
Hi Dave,
The Radiator is in the shop at the moment being looked at. It was the most puzzling situation I've ever come across. With nothing untoward showing on the temp.gauge but normal we literally steamed up after a few miles of driving.

Something must be happening with the E-mails as I make it a point to answer them all when folks are kind enough to send to me. Are you using t.ecanpack34@hotmail.co.uk as we changed some time ago.

The rest of the Belgian trip was great with lots of fun from Sal and Joanne and all the group were indeed great. The weather could have been a bit kinder but nothing could be done about that. Apart from the car boiling up going and coming back home Jean-Luc-Packard did all the run outs with the occasional top up of water.

The manifold colour request was in preparation of it being welded as we developed a crack which started blowing badly.
Please re-submit your e-mails and we will have a chat about everything,

Thanks to you other fellas that also gave opinions on this request.
T

Posted on: 2013/6/15 15:43
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved