Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 142

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heater on 36 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
My heater on my 120 is always on, and an old Packard mechanic told me to put a valve on the water hose going into the heater right on top of the engine. Is that how its suppose to work? You have to stop the car, open the hood to turn the heater up or down? Is there a NOS valve available for that?

Posted on: 2013/7/10 7:41
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: Heater on 36 120
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your mechanic was correct, that's the typical installation until the advent of the Ranco automatic type valve which came later. You open the valve on the cylinder head in the fall or winter, close it down in the spring or early summer.

Valves varied slightly in style within and over the years, for example on some the discharge angled upwards somewhat, but here's typical one. They are rather commonly available, there may even be new ones from places like Restoration Supply Co.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.59 KB)
177_51dd591fdde87.jpg 1200X900 px

Posted on: 2013/7/10 7:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can also buy a remotely operated water valve. It is similar to the one O_D pictured, but has a cable operated lever to open and close the valve and adjustments in between. Temp control like a Ronco valve, but manually operated. I know O'Rilley's has them in their catalog. Of course it will not be authentic, but something to consider.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/10 10:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I want to keep it authentic as possible. But I appreciate the suggestion

Posted on: 2013/7/10 11:25
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I got the one for my 39 Packard from Elliot's Hardware in Dallas TX. I suspect most good plumbing supply stores would have one. You might want to consider getting on of these, and hiding a Ranco adjustable one somewhere in the engine bay.

I think I have a spare used one in the garage. I'll check.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 13:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
None in the garage, but CarQuest here in town has them in stock.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:54
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved