Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

Peter Packard, michael biegas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

No title
Just popping in
Just popping in

jackstrailer
See User information
Need inf on frt crankshaft pulley on 1938 8 cyl engine . Is it a 2 pc. pulley dampner combo. Have a 1938 model 1601 4 dr convertible. We are trying to instal AC and power steering.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 11:39
 Top  Print 

Re: No title
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
The harmonic balancer/crank pulley is a one piece unit. It is best to run the compressor off the waterpump pulley, for which I have a custom made aluminum double pulley. As for power steering...I gots no idea - once moving these cars should steer pretty easy. I used to have a 39 120 conv. sedan, so I am familiar with these cars. What is the issue with the steering, or is it just a desire?
David Flack, Dallas.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 11:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Think you will be on your own to figure out pulleys. Packard only offered the single groove back then so nothing factory. Flackmaster is your best info but here is a bit more to contemplate.

As was mentioned, when Packard offered AC on prewar cars, it was driven with another groove off the water pump/fan pulley. Multiple crank/damper grooves for PS and AC didn't arrive until 53-54. Others would have to say if one of those setups would work on an engine that far back.

Several have added an item to the later engines by mounting it to be able to use a longer version of the existing belt. That would be only one item and difficult if not impossible if your engine has the 1" wide belt since 1" pulleys don't seem to be a commonly available item. Here's a photo of a 39 engine where the compressor was mounted low and a longer belt was used. I believe it was Gene that owned the car and posted the photo originally. I think it might be a 3/4 belt.

No idea if the 38 engine could be done the same but still leaves having to do something with the PS. Possibly you could get the fan pulley from flackmaster and mount the compressor high off the head as Packard did. Use the space where this compressor is mounted for PS and drive that directly with a longer belt.

If the later crank pulleys would fit on the 38 crank then one of our former posters has said that a 302 Ford racing balancer with removable weights will fit the Packard crank. Multiple pulley configurations are available for those. I don't know if anyone has actually tried a Ford unit so no idea if in fact they will work or what other changes might need to be made.

Attach file:

jpg  (60.33 KB)
209_51e0380a0e1e9.jpg 960X720 px

Posted on: 2013/7/12 12:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Mr.Pushbutton
See User information
Do you have a title for the car?

Posted on: 2013/7/12 14:58
 Top  Print 

crankshaft pulley and AC inf
Just popping in
Just popping in

jackstrailer
See User information
Thanks for every one input. This engine has the 5/8-3/4 belt. I have seen the wider belt on another Packard. was hoping I could dismount the wide pulley and bolt a dual groove off a later car with narrow belts then could run a/c compressor ,alt and ps on separate belts. I haven't driven the car but he has limited space backing out of garage and thought it might be easier on him if he had ps.

There is a title for the car.

Posted on: 2013/7/12 15:05
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

jackstrailer
See User information
yes there is a title

Posted on: 2013/7/12 15:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
One of the Salado attendees (and an infrequent poster here) is doing a 23rd series Custom. He has adapted disc brakes for the front and has made a serpentine belt drive system for engine accessories. Something to think about. Not original, but neither is the AC and PS. I can ask him to contact you if you are interested, just PM me you contact info.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/12 17:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day jackstrailer,
to PackardInfo.

Sorry, can't help with your query. But I do invite you to include your '38 1601 4 door Convertible in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo!

As to the "No title", maybe BigKev can weave some magic to insert the title in Post #5 of "crankshaft pulley and AC inf" into the Subject field of the thread?

Posted on: 2013/7/12 18:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

jackstrailer
See User information
Have him contact me please.

jackstrailer@nts-online.net

Posted on: 2013/7/26 8:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Will do.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2013/7/26 10:16
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved