Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (57 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 118

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

registration
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

shawn39
See User information
I have title for my 39 Packard but the cowl tag is missing i live in Wisconsin and that's were the title is from am i going to have problems with registration can't find numbers on frame to match going to hot rod car is to far gone to restore sorry thanks for any info eng# is 51203 on title no engine or trans in car

Posted on: 2013/7/13 13:44
 Top  Print   

Re: registration
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It was probably registered by the motor number when new but if engine is missing then not much help. That number you have doesn't appear complete. It would start with a B in 39 and anything in the 5xxxxx range would have 6 digits. Don't believe there were any frame numbers used that late by Packard.

Some states will inspect the car and as long as you can prove you own it -- perhaps by a bill of sale along with your other documents -- and they can find no previous records, will re-register with the only permanent number on the car -- the embossed body ID or thief proof number stamped on the firewall. Don't know if that's an option where you are.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
My 38 has a mostly unreadable decal on the firewall(38 used a decal rather than an embossed plate). I punched my own numbers on the frame rail near the steering box.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 18:19
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dale Rhinehart
See User information
Each State is different in what may or may not be presented for VIN and Titles. Call you Dept of Motor Vehicle see what is needed to get your Vehicle registered. Here in Ohio where I work for the Sheriff's Dept #1 all vehicles with titles from other States must be inspected by the BMV to see if the VIN matches the Bill of Sale if the Vehicle is from another State that is not a "title" State. Some States do not require a "title" for pre 76 Vehicles. You might in your case buy a VIN plate on E Bay and have the numbers printed in on the VIN line as they appear on your title. There is a good chance that will all you need to do. It sound simple, and it is compared to some of the "night mares" I have seen others go through in cases as your. They bought a nice car but only got a Bill of Sale from some person that did not have a title or the VIN was missing. Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/13 18:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
51203 is probably a remnant of the Vin number.

There is another option. Find a good title servicer - Hemmings - and have him get you a title that matches the thief proof number, the remnant, or whatever you want to use.

However, if the car is just a shell, I'd stamp numbers on a Vin plate and stick it on.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 8:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved