Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
81 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 79

JD in KC, JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

OSRVM for a 22nd Series
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Did "OSRVM" get your attention

That stands for "Outside Rearview Mirror". I picked that term up in 1957 when my mom bought her new Oldsmobile Delta 88 convertible and I saw it on the sticker. It stuck with me ever since.

Outside of the $325 reproduction mirrors that the Kanters sell, I haven't found a pair of satisfactory mirrors for my '49. The ones that clip on the door edge either mount too far forward to see clearly on both sides, or require cutting the stainless door/window trim to clamp closer in.

Has anyone come up with a decent set of substitute (they don't have to look absolutely original) mirrors that work well on these cars?

Posted on: 2008/7/18 20:54
 Top  Print   

Re: OSRVM for a 22nd Series
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I was able to pick up a set of universal mirrors similar to pict at one of chain parts stores a few yrs ago. Unless one knows what to look for, they look a lot like the 51-6 type. I mounted mine on door rather than thru chrome.

Attach file:

jpg  (1.30 KB)
209_48814ccbf2ce7.jpg 134X130 px

Posted on: 2008/7/18 21:09
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Dan Marrin
See User information
I have two 22nd series Packards and have a pair of "King Bee" styled rear view mirrors on each of them. They mount through the stainless steel strip just beneath the windows and, when positioned properly, are both visible from the driver's seat. I believe they are 4" diameter mirrors and their curved styling matches the curves of the 22nd series very well.

Kanter has some new reproductions that look just like mine for about $160.00/pair (I think they used to be $170/pr) athttp://www.kanter.com//catalog/productdetail.aspx?Tg=1615320&Mak=Packard&Yr=48&Dv=1&Dpt=1000&Sb=0&Vdr=&Itm=&MDv=1&MDpt=0&MSb=0&Cat=1&Prc=226

Talk to their Packard department to make sure they will work as I described.

I just picked up an original pair on ebay and have an extra driver's side mirror, same style, but with a larger diameter mirror, if you'd be interested in just one?

Attach file:

jpg  (10.75 KB)
364_488216999a259.jpg 383X355 px

Posted on: 2008/7/19 11:31
Dan Marrin
Summers; Breezy Point, MN, Winters; The Villages, FL
'48 Sup8 conv, '48 Sup8Del LWB sed, '58 Hawk.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Do they require cutting the SS strip?

Posted on: 2008/7/19 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
On my '47 which has original optional "King Bees" the mirrors fit over the stainless trim but of course holes have to be drilled.

Posted on: 2008/7/19 22:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Do the King Bees mount on the door panel then, and then come up over the SS trim (with the two small holes drilled out for them)?

They don't mount on the trim only, right?

Posted on: 2008/7/20 6:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
This is maybe not the best picture for demonstating as this is on a 1947 but you can see that the mirror screws onto the trim and through the door panel.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.80 KB)
13_488341cc4f745.jpg 384X594 px

Posted on: 2008/7/20 8:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jay Faubion
See User information
Perfect picture. Wow, those look nice, too.

I like the way they mount. I'm going to see what I can work out now that I've seen yours. Thanks for your help.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 12:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved