Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 173

dallas, Soybeanfarmer1 , more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

door handle retainers
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
The right front door handle on my 51 200 is coming loose. On inspection, the old handle retainer, the one that slides in from the edge of the door, has a broken piece on it. Any suggestions as to a good source? And does anyone make a more durable one? Every one I've tried to remove broke in the process of removing it. thanks

Posted on: 2013/7/19 21:34
 Top  Print   

Re: door handle retainers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Packards International had them made. They are on eBay often.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 22:07
 Top  Print   

Re: door handel retainers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
San Diego Region of PI reproduced them some years back in a material that supposedly doesn't rust. Their website still lists them.http://www.packardsandiego.com/NewPriceList_01-06-13.htm Believe Big Kev used theirs on his car but IIRC, he mentioned something about them he wasn't totally happy with.

Max lists them a bit cheaper at $45 but don't know his source.

Kanter also lists them as available at $89. Don't know if his are originals or if he had them repro'd as well. Other than that it's probably hope you find a good one on ebay.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 22:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
thanks I'll check with SD and Max in the morning. I also noticed that the San Diego folks have the heat shields that someone was looking for the other day.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 22:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
FYI - I put in an order with Max on Friday and got the retainer clip in today's mail. It was a steel one, with minor surface rust on it, so it may be NOS. I removed the damaged one - it was brass, and had a tag on it that said "51-56, $55". It had broken in two places. The steel one went in easily and now the handle doesn't wobble when you open the door.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IIRC the ones that look like brass are actually non-rusting beryllium copper, a material commonly used for speciality springs and the like but currently out of favor due to some toxicity concerns.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 17:14
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The steel ones are much stronger. The B-C ones are very brittle.

Posted on: 2013/7/26 22:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
I just fitted two B-C ones so I'll treat them gently. My old ones were rusted too badly to use.

One thing I noticed is that these don't press right in to be flush with the door metal. Both are out a little. Not sure if they should as my car came 'disassembled', in boxes. The end of the retainers are out from the door metal approx 1/4" and I can't see why that is so.

Can post a photo if necessary.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 8:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My steel on went all the way flush with the door. The important thing is that both posts on the door handle are firmly pulled in. I squirted WD40 on mine before I pushed it in. It always helps.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 14:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
The rear door clip will not go flush on a front door if you have accidently put it in the wrong place.

Posted on: 2013/7/27 18:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved