Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 164

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pre-bent brake lines--what do you know of gmoldtimeparts???
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Does anyone have experience with using gmoldtimeparts brake lines as advertised on e-Bay??? Apparently the advert is by Jacksons Auto Parts and MW Inc.

The price of their brake lines for my 1949 Standard 8 Packard is certainly much less than from other companies.

I have not inquired of them if they make up pre-bent stainless tubes. I simply assume the regular steel lines, if new, will last as long as the original ones on the car at this time.

Of course, bending my own lines is also an option to consider.

Thanking you in advance for your comments and opinions.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2013/7/22 10:03
 Top  Print   

Re: Pre-bent brake lines--what do you know of gmoldtimeparts???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you can link to the specific item you are thinking of it would help. The only thing I see for brake line kits from that particular vendor appear to be an assortment of straight length tubes. Don't see anything you couldn't get or order from Napa.

No idea what the difference in price might be although if they have something specific for your year Packard, then at least the lengths of tubes in the kit might be close to what is needed. That would save the hassle of you figuring out exactly what you need in straight lengths. If you custom make your own, then as others have mentioned, using the cupro-nickel or Cunifer tubing is much easier to bend and work than steel tube and the suggested way to go.

To get prebent stainless tubing I think you will have to go to one of the vendors or tubing companies direct. I ordered my kit from Kanter but it was actually made by Classic Tube. Considerably more than the price of the ebay item though.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 10:39
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

zougeride
See User information
Howard,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I went to the site I mentioned and typed in my car information and the cost of the pre-bent tubes for it came up. The cost is very low compared to other vendors and the low price is one of reasons I wrote to the forum.

Apparently the company can be contacted via telephone numbers 218-624-5791 and 888-399-7278. I would, of course, talk to a "real" person at the company before ordering any item from a vendor.

Thank you for your comments for they are always appreciated.

Zougeride

Posted on: 2013/7/22 10:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have much luck or patience with searching ebay so only saw a few kits in the 40-60 dollar range. If you have found something that looks good and the talk with them is equally promising, let us know. I'm sure many will appreciate hearing of a decent product with lower cost options that the 2-300 dollar range prebent goes for now.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 11:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I would avoid stainless because the fittings do best with softer steel.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 13:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
I would avoid stainless because the fittings do best with softer steel.

Sometimes not an option. When ordering mine I asked if I could order a regular steel tubing kit. Would have greatly preferred it for several reasons. Kanter rep said they only sell prebent brake line kits in stainless so the option was that or build my own. Stainless it was.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I used what is call copper/nickel that is used regularly in Europe and other areas. It is easy to bend and flare and stands up as well as steel, but will not rust. May cost more than steel, but the convenience was worth it for me. NAPA sells it. Also call CuNo.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 16:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

WILLIS wrote:
I used what is call copper/nickel that is used regularly in Europe and other areas. It is easy to bend and flare and stands up as well as steel, but will not rust. May cost more than steel, but the convenience was worth it for me. NAPA sells it. Also call CuNo.

The Cunifer or copper-nickel is the way to go. I used it for the fuel line this time around. If I had been in the mood to make the brake lines this time, it would have been used.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 17:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Well, hopefully these stainless brake lines aren't too hard (lower chrome percentage). I'm not sure if stainless will anneal, but if it will I would anneal the flares to allow sealing at lower torque. Stainless 316 is about the same hardness as carbon steel (cold rolled), while 304 is significantly softer. I don't know what they use in brake lines, but it is definitely not high carbon.

Posted on: 2013/7/22 18:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved