Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
219 user(s) are online (148 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 218

Gary Kulp, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel pump breather "filter"...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi,

I am currently rebuilding my fuel pump (23rd super) when I pulled out the "sisle" (I think that it is called) in the vacuum vent port because there was not much left. So I needed to replace it with something. Not having any filtering foam, and fiberglass insulation seemed too thin, I cut a piece of red Scotchbrite and slid it in. Now I'm second-guessing myself. Should I be concerned about the abrasive coming off of it? I figured steel wool would rust. ...but I could hunt down some brass brillow pads and use that. Any thought?

Thanks,

Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (85.86 KB)
2686_51ee073510bcb.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2013/7/22 23:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel pump breather "filter"...
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
I cut a piece of red Scotchbrite and slid it in. Now I'm second-guessing myself. Should I be concerned about the abrasive coming off of it?

I would.

IIRC, modern vac pumps use a sponge type of foam rubber. I used to save foam rubber sheets that were used as packing material in some shipments. It was handy for applying stuff like ArmorAll, and it could be rinsed, dried and reused.

Some fabric shops stock foam rubber for padding furniture, but I would hate to have to buy a whole sheet for just this tiny bit. Perhaps you have an old piece of furniture with a cushion from which you could sneak a "sample".

Surely you're not the only one who has run into this situation. Perhaps others will chime in with their experience.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 8:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lots of acceptable choices. Horse hair was commonly used in these breathers and you might still get this from an auto upholstery shop that caters to the older car restoration business. Also kapok fibers such as used in oil bath air filters (and old time nautical life vests) would work just fine. Another option would be coarse felt. And "Chore Girl" brass scouring pad material should be a good choice as well. I'd avoid steel wool and Scothbrite for the reasons you noted.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 8:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
So I was rumaging around the basement to see what I had. I don't throw much out. ...then I realized that I had some pre-filters from an air filter. So I rolled some up and pushed it in. I'm still thinking about it tho. ...as I just realized that I need to soak the leather vacuum diaphragm seal over-night in oil to get it over the hook in the diaphragm shaft.

I also included one last picture of some "grit" that I found in the old filter and the vacuum chamber. It sure looks like the glass bead that I sand blast with! ...but as I have never had the car in the garage with the cabinet, I know that it didn't come from me.

Attach file:

jpg  (97.00 KB)
2686_51f5fe89e8fd3.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (64.24 KB)
2686_51f5fe9f3e556.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (77.54 KB)
2686_51f5fed9b559e.jpg 1280X721 px

jpg  (72.93 KB)
2686_51f600bbba837.jpg 1280X721 px

Posted on: 2013/7/29 0:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved