Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 138

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ebay exhaust systems
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
DOes the rite rear tail pipe have a sharp distinct 90 degree bend in it where it connects to the over-the-axle pipe????? The one that Kepich sent for my 56 Exec. had such a bend. I thot maybe he had 56 Sr. mixed up with Jr. or something. In fact, the replacement he sent was identicle to the first one he sent in bends but a smaller ID since the first pipe he sent was too big ( 2" id) for Jr. I just 'made it fit' but it's not desireable. This was about 7 or 8 years ago. Definatly not 10 years.

The over-the-axle pipes and left Tail pipe fit fairly good with a little bit of tweaking. The rite tail pipe wasn't even in the ball park. I had to cut it up to make it fit and graft another pipe to it.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 17:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't recall but there was no issue hooking it up. Have several pix of chassis front & middle but no rear during restoration. After the front pipe flange angle fixed, only tweaks I remember was ones the muffler guy did on each side to center the chrome tailpipe extensions in holes. Think he did that to hangers--might have bent pipes but it was minor if he did. Will try and remember to look and maybe take a pict.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 17:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I used Kepich for my '50 Custom Sedan. This was last October. I took the exhaust system they sent me to a local muffler shop to have it installed. It fit perfectly. I'm a satisfied customer. I'll probably be using Kepich again when I replace the exhaust on my '41.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 19:58
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Although I've never used them, it sounds to me like the Kepich exhaust problems are limited to the V8 models. When I was going to redo "my" '56 Patrician's exhaust, I took it to the local privately owned exhaust shop, they quoted me $400 for a complete stainless dual exhaust, and in 2.5" diameter. This is without resonators and with a pair of Flowmasters, however.

I've always thought that Packards were too quiet, but that's the hotrodder in me who likes cars that sound like they have cajones.

Posted on: 2008/7/20 20:03
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Charles Neuhaus
See User information
I installed the mild steel dual system on my 56 Caribbean Hardtop about ten years ago and the SS dual system on my 56 Patrician about three years ago. I will soon purchase a mild steel dual system from Kepich for my 55 Patrician.

Posted on: 2008/7/21 15:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
I did a little more research on Klassic Kollection and found out they and Kepich are the same company. I also found a lot of negative feedback about both by googling "Kepich" one of the complaints actually states they not only didn't get all of the parts but even after several phone calls and faxes, Kepich would not refund the guys money even though they couldn't produce a valid shipping number. Most of the complaints were bad fit-up's, bad welds, bends, workmanship, and on and on. It seems at least two clubs and at least a couple of magazines have refused to accept anymore adds from Kepich. Could that maybe help explain the Klassic/Kolllection name. I doubt I will chance any dealings with them. I did not however find anything (yet) bad about Classic Exhaust systems, but I am still checking.

Posted on: 2008/7/21 21:08
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
For what it's worth, (probably not much of anything)

I put a Kepich system on a while back. It was for the LWB model, mine is not. Didn't have time to play the shipping game to and from the east coast. Cut the mid pipe down, did a little welding, made it fit. Did not come with all hardware as mentioned by another person. I will say this, it was a decent fit with some modification; compared to a Waldron's exhaust system we put on a car a while back. The Waldron's system was nowhere near right, they sent other pieces, still didn't fit so they said it will have to be heated and bent and that is normal. All that great customer service for $500 and besides, a torched bent up system will look fine on a fully restored car.

I hate to say it, but it's probably best to find a good exhaust shop, buy the proper mufflers & resonators and have them install.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 2:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

gone1951
See User information
Quote 39Super8, "I hate to say it, but it's probably best to find a good exhaust shop, buy the proper mufflers & resonators and have them installed."

I agree with 39Super8. There's nothing worse than paying good money for something that isn't right to start with.

Posted on: 2008/7/22 9:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
My 56 Patrician has 2-(close to 90 degree) bends in the right side as it passes through the frame just ahead of the axle. The left side also has a single 90 degree bend as it passes through the frame and then a longer sweep after it passes through the frame. Plate 20A shows that as being correct but when you look at the pipes on the car it does look weird with those back to back 90's.

Posted on: 2008/7/29 22:25
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved