Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (73 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 93

HH56, 29tons, Marvin, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Mechanic Training films?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Ok... I have had these in the basement, taken from the Packard/Hudson dealership of my grandfather off Rt 66 in Tucumcari NM. Not sure how to view them or what year they are for.
Anyone out there with a 33 1/2 speed record player linked with a 8mm film projector?

In the collection are the following.

Ignition system
Carburetor 1 thru 4
Engine diagnosis and tune-up
Packard transmission
Packard overdrive.

Attach file:

jpg  (45.37 KB)
7518_51f5cf1fcd35c.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (40.98 KB)
7518_51f5cf30486c0.jpg 1024X576 px

jpg  (34.75 KB)
7518_51f5cf3d24abb.jpg 1024X576 px

Posted on: 2013/7/28 21:11
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Re: Mechanic Training films?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Those are film strips. A tone prompts the viewer to move to the next frame.

If you want to see what is on them, I would try the public library, or the an older public school. They might have the equipment to loan. Of course you can buy a phonograph and film strip projector on ebay, but then you are stuck with it.

They probably correspond closely to the written material here in the archive.

Posted on: 2013/7/28 22:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
If you have a scanner that does film, you could scan the frames and possibly print them as a booklet that could be perused while the record plays...

Lotta work, but worth it to someone.....

What years are covered?

Posted on: 2013/7/28 22:42
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Mark,

Member packard34 has the equipment and has converted some Packard films to a digital format, see this thread.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 2:20
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
...Anyone out there with a 33 1/2 speed record player linked with a 8mm film projector? ...

Sorry for my telediagnosis but these film canisters look too small to contain animated pictures. Next to the record player one needs a slide-projector with the capability to insert film spools. Ebay offers them for peanuts. Neither a connection between record player and projector it needs nor special knowledge. The record makes "piep" or says "now to the next picture" or the like and the "cinema operator" manually winds forward to the next pic.
In the 50's such kind of projectors had been used for fairytale films. Do you remember the crackle sound of the record ...

[pictures source: ebay]

Attach file:

jpg  (29.40 KB)
757_51f6305a8aff1.jpg 500X498 px

jpg  (21.02 KB)
757_51f630679c399.jpg 500X400 px

jpg  (15.99 KB)
757_51f63074e5e37.jpg 500X392 px

Posted on: 2013/7/29 4:07
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
Wow I feel silly! I never looked at the film in the canisters! Once I get some time ill have to see about scanning them onto digits and see if there is a year model in the pics and get them posted. As for the audio... I have a 1941 rockolla jukebox out of the malt shop next door to the Packard dealership. Might be able to get some sound recorded off it. But it needs restoring too... guess thats a whole different thread And web site... unless I replace the rockolla with a Packard emblem!.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 6:25
25 years in the MP Corps never prepared me for a 52 Packard that sat sealed off from the world for 40 years!
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Mark Huff
See User information
OK... pulled my head out... POP! On the box is a postage stamp from packard motor co. Kansas City. July 22 1948. So I can only assume they are for the 47/48... maybe 49 model year...

Posted on: 2013/7/29 6:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Quote:
Wow I feel silly! ...

Mark (mnrhuff), don't do that. Thanks for sharing your treasure with us. If there would be any chance to show us some pics, it would be great!

Posted on: 2013/7/29 7:44
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I have the equipment here to transcribe those records straight onto tape via preamplifier, but heck, tape is an antique medium!

I don't know if studios even use it anymore. I haven't used mine in years.

I did get a yen a few years ago to listen to some Count Basie and Dave Wierbach. I sat there thinking the world is coming to an end because the sound quality was so good.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 7:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Normally these are done with 35mm film, but the format is what used to be called half-frame. Each image is half the size of a "normal" 35mm image.

Easy to scan if your scanner has a light box top (and is thus designed to do film).

As noted, filmstrips are not normally animated. A few setups advanced the film automatically, picking up the signal from the tape or record.

Posted on: 2013/7/29 21:22
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved